• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel cell with stock gauge?

323IJOE

Here is they type of sender I was talking about

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-439361-f/media/images

you just bend the wire the float is attached to, not too sketchy at all.

oo ok i understand now, i don't think the cells come with that stye though since the foam would get in the way of it, but correct me if im wrong. I thought they came with ones that are more of a cylinder with the sender inside of it which rose/dropped vertically

also isnt it possible to just pull the foam out through the fill hole? im asume thats ow you would replace the foam in these or is it not "smushy" enough, i know im being very technical here haha

Sorry, don't know anything about the foam but usually when they put in metal baffles they leave room for the sender arm, if it comes with a sender then it could be the tube type and that would be alot more difficult to tweak (possibly a spacer that floats below the float that is there?, that would cause it to read full for awhile before it started dropping but it would range from there to empty correctly)

I didn't think most cells came with senders because it really depends on the fuel gauge you are using as to what range you need but if it does then you are obviously stuck with what it comes with, 0-90 will work but it will tell you that you are empty well before you actually are, maybe that is a good thing?

74 Golf

I just noticed that the 0-90 ohm sender I posted won't work with our cars because according to Summit's website it reads backwards. 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full whereas our cars read 75 or greater ohms empty and ~3 ohms full. It could possibly be modified to work but it would require more than just bending.

74 Golf

I think there is a pretty simple and accurate enough solution.

A 3 ohm resistor in series will bump up the range from 0-90 to 3-93. A resistance of 360 ohms in parallel to the level sensor should adjust the span of the sensor from 90 ohms to 72... voila 3-75 ohms. I did the math and the results are non-linear (close to it though) and dont match perfectly but are pretty darn close.

-H

(first post!)

• Like 1

Thanks, that's the math I hadn't bothered to work out yet.

Of course it all depends on if the new aftermarket sender is 0-90 full to empty or 90-0 full to empty. If it's the opposite of the stock setup it may also need a voltage divider to reverse the signal's slope.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now