• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My fuel tank fixings dont match my new boot floor??

2002FjordBaur

Hi all,

Strange one this...

Had a new boot (trunk) floor replaced in my 73 targa. Just trial fitted my refurbed original fuel tank and the 2 bolt threads closes to the filler neck dont match the tab holes in my tank?

All holes lined up with my old rusty boot floor - didnt think boot floors differed between years? My car is a UK 1973 model.

Not a major problem - i can easily drill a couple of new holes in the floor to fix in tank but if any one has any info - i'm just intrigue?

Regards

Franc

post-3920-13667667083525_thumb.jpg

post-3920-13667667085392_thumb.jpg

post-3920-13667667087487_thumb.jpg

There was a recent posting where the poster had replaced his original tank with one from another year and mentioned that one bolt position was changed -- something to do with the center center shock strut needed for the '74 on IIRC.

Byas

Fuel tanks in the later cars mount slightly differently from the early cars due to the increased structure in the trunk of the later cars. My original tank rusted and I replaced it with a later tank that I had refurbished. I had to drill a new hole in the trunk to accommodate the change in mounting locations.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

The only floor available now (for Euro cars) is part# 41 12 1 838 992.

This was for "model 73" cars manufactured from Aug or Sep '73.

The earlier cars had part# 41 12 5 403 165, now NLA (acc to RealOEM).

Tourings and the Turbo had a different floor.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

This is all correct. I used a new trunk floor from BMW in my 68 restoration project but had a new old stock gas tank. Two, possibly three of the passenger side holes do not line up. I plugged the extras, drilled new ones and used stainless steel bolts and nuts to secure. Since only one trunk floor is available, this is really the only choice. If you wanted to go crazy you could weld nuts to the newly drilled holes on the bottom so it matched, but how often are you standing below your gastank looking up?

--> 1968 2002 <--