• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emission sticker for a 76 in California

sclaverie

I have restored my 76 2002 and would like a new the emission sticker found on the passenger side by the fresh air vent. Does anyone know where I can find one. If not, do you have a 76 in Californa that you can take a picture of and send it to me. I can have it reproduce if I know exactly what it says.

Thanks.

Here is a link to my original...

--Scott

1985 318i (My First); 1996 535i (Loved it/sold it); 1999 323is (My kid likes'em too); 2003 325i (BMW Buy Back)

2005 530i (Best Ride Ever); 2007 x5 (Loved the look, but not the maintenance); 1976 2002 (Bitch'in ride) 1957 Isetta (under restoration)

Both of the stickers shown thus far -- and 02Les's is the most intact I've seen in a long time -- use the language "...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE CARBON MONOXIDE STANDARD FOR CALIFORNIA..." This is identical to the sticker on my '76 49-state version that I presumed was solely for the 49-state version. On the other hand, I presume that a CA version has slightly different wording (as a CA version would meet the CA carbon monoxide standard), and that this sticker thereby coordinates with the emissions schematic sticker found on the driver's-side inner fender just forward of the top strut mount: one schematic sticker for 49-state versions, a different schematic for CA versions.

First, in an effort to document this detail -- partly because I have not yet seen a "CA version" of the '76 EPA sticker (the subject of this thread) -- could you please confirm whether the cars shown are CA versions or 49-state versions? (The schematic sticker on the driver's-side inner fender should confirm this. If that sticker is missing, the presence, now or previously, of exhaust gas recirculation and a thermal reactor distinguish the '76 CA version from the '76 49-state version.)

Second, there are many of us in need of these less-common stickers, and they are not available from any of the many sticker vendors. Can you tell us, generally, in what manner you're having this reproduced? Stated differently, who does this work on a custom basis and is able to print it out on appropriate, adhesive-backed stock? I, realizing there could be legal issues but not mentioning them, approached one graphics shop which, predictably, declined to touch my "custom sticker project" without express written permission from BMW. Right. Lots of luck with that!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have been playing around with an emission label for years. You won't find any faithful reproductions because they would be difficult (and illegal) to print. The original in my '71 was perforated on silver stock to avoid tampering. The only economical way I could think of for reproduction was to print a screened background of circles along with the text (on silver vinyl). Could be either one or two screens. The other complication is that each label is year specific--so it gets rather pricey for such a limited quantity.

I have been playing around with an emission label for years. You won't find any faithful reproductions because they would be difficult (and illegal) to print. The original in my '71 was perforated on silver stock to avoid tampering. The only economical way I could think of for reproduction was to print a screened background of circles along with the text (on silver vinyl). Could be either one or two screens. The other complication is that each label is year specific--so it gets rather pricey for such a limited quantity.

Thanks. The later emissions stickers, however, weren't printed on the perforated stock used for earlier emissions stickers. So for a '76, the problem is somewhat simpler: who, generally, might be capable of printing and willing to print high-quality, self-adhesive custom stickers? Has anyone had any luck with this that they're willing to discuss on the forum?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)