• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Replacement Options?

jackrabbit

So after my move from the bay area to the north county San Diego area, my OE radiator has pooped out on me. Burns coolant and gets hot (just under redline) at freeway speeds after like 30 minutes. It's time to replace and I really want to do something where I won't have to ever worry about the heat again. I read that people do e21 radiator swaps (especially since a 5speed is somewhere in the plans). What are your recommendations? Going to just re do the entire cooling system while I'm in there.

74 BMW 2002 Atlantik "Trinker"

to be NLA--those three row cores mated to a stock 2002 radiator frame crafted by the Silicon Garage. However, you might be able to find a used one, or talk to your local radiator shop about duplicating one for you. Back about 1987 a local shop here in Dayton found a RADAC 26 core that was a perfect fit...it's been on my '73 ever since.

Failing that, you can go with an E21 radiator or one of Jeff Ireland's all aluminum ones--they're a work of art and made to fit an '02 with no mods.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

Recore the radiator is an option. The tanks on the radiators are quite stout and can be re-cored quite easily. Since you are in the San Diego and just north of Mexico where re-coring and saving everything is the norm many shops have some very talented radiator guys.

I had my radiator re-cored by a guy in Chula Vista to make it a 3 rows versus the stock 2 rows. 3 rows makes the core too thick for a normal fan setup but a 2 row rebuild works great.

Good Luck Have fun

Mark (now supposedly performing the "silicon garage" re-cores) has been MIA for months. I've sent him repeated e mails and phone calls to at *least* retrieve my original tii F Bomb's radiator (which I sent him last summer) - all of which with no reply or response. I know I am not alone in expressing my disappointment. I understand that life has some twists and turns, but his absolute lack of communication (with me as well as probably a dozen others) has been a real bummer.

So...the short answer is: don't send anything to Mr Priesendorf or any outfit known as the "Silicon Garage" until you start hearing ***recent*** and CURRENT updates and success stories. I'm sure his product was top notch... but I'm officially pissed off.

A simple reply to my e mail(s) would have been enough. Getting my radiator back (perhaps stolen by scrap metal crack addict thieves by now?) would have been gravy.

Let me clearly state that I have not given Mark or Silicon Garage any money. I simply sent my used radiator to him in hopes of having the best re-core in the US installed. I'd be happy just to get the original unit back in one piece so I can pursue other local options.

bummed and disappointed,

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I HAVE given Mark money for an '02 radiator, but as you say, one tries to give people the widest possible benefit of the doubt. He did a great job on the rad in my 3.0CSi.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I have a stock 75 2002 radiator that at some point in the past was re cored. I had it cleaned out and pressure tested and have the receipt for the work, it's never been used or installed .I Also have another stock 2002 radiator that looks really good but has not been tested . Let me know if you would be interested ,I can send pictures located Rancho Cucamonga Ca. 91737

harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

You can get a new brass/copper tank E21 radiator from Autozone for $160. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1978-BMW-320I/Radiator/_/N-imtrpZ9pdak

Yes, you need to modify a lower radiator hose a lot, and drill new holes for mounting. But, it is cheap and readily available.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Like many who have posted above, Mark Preisendorf has at this point kindly swindled us either out of money sent as prepay, or radiator cores. Although it appears it was done unintentionally, If Mark ever wants to get back into the parts business, he needs to take care of the people who he has left hanging and restore his credibility.

I sent Mark the radiator out of my survivor certified 71 1600 in July for a 3 row rebuild after winning a 50% off certificate at Mid-America 02 Fest 2012. I did not send money in advance but he did remark after examining my core that it was the nicest he had ever seen. Due to the manufacturing delays I was forced to find a used $30 radiator and then had to pay $100 to get it repaired so I could use my car. At this point, I'm out the beautiful core, $30 in fedex shipping, $130 for the replacement radiator and my time, calling, emailing, texting with no reply from Mark.

I doubt it would do any good, but I am planning to send a Fedex letter to Mark's home in Castro Valley CA with a pre-paid shipping label and ask that he send back my core, no questions asked.

--> 1968 2002 <--

If this was some errant guy selling parts and not replying, etc, Curt would have offered to pay him a friendly visit on our behalf.

That Mark has taken over Curt's business and is now doing what he's doing surely has Curt turning in his grave.

I can well understand how he may be busy, etc, recore shops are hard to find, and there can be difficulties in making ends meet, yadda, yadda, yadda, but the complete lack of communication isn't easy to explain away.

There is a point where it becomes theft, literally.

Are there any nice '02ers out there who know where Mark lives and might be considerate enough to pay him a friendly visit?

Lacking that, from what I read, it sounds like it might be time to see about getting the local authorities involved to see if they can motivate Mark....

vince

I must add my comments about Mark and his takeover of Silicon Garage. I too won a 50% off 3-row radiator at MidAmerica Fest (2010) and waited (like an idiot) to do anything with it. After e-mailing with Mark a while back, I ordered a new radiator for my tii. He graciously accepted the gift certificate only because it was the "right thing to do" and "Curt would have wanted it that way". It took a while for Mark to find a suitable core, but I eventually received the radiator in a nice cardboard box. Inside, there were instructions how to return my original for a core, but since I keep driving the tii, it was never returned to Mark and I am now going to install the 3 row unit in my '69.

Based on Mark's e-mails to me (again, a while back), the lack of good suitable cores has somewhat dried up and he has had a very hard time taking care of the requests.

Sorry to hear from those of you having issues after sending in cores and money. Maybe we don't know the full story yet.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 9 years later...

I am looking to replace my Radiator as a test today showed multiple pin sized holes causing a big leak (but still keeping car cooled). 

This thread question has not been updated in 9 years.... but any advice or leads on a rebuilt radiator for a 74' 2002tii or a newer aluminum (ebay, IE, etc). 

Thanks! 

Edited by Karlosism

=====================

74' 2002tii (Polaris silver)

66' Porsche 912 (Metallic silver)