• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New BMWCCA Roundel layout

jhenard

I have been a member since 73, but with no 2002 column by Mike Self, why should I renew? I also enjoyed Joe Chamberlin's ramblinings on the early years. They have written off the old guard. I just read Tech Talk with Mike Miller whose technical writing is first class. I really don't care what's in his garage (1st article) or his comments on a career in automotive jounalism (2nd article). Then I get to "2002 Revival" where the owner of a 71 2002 is asking some basic questions. He has a Haynes manual but Mike tells him to go buy the Big Blue Service service manual. I keep reading thinking Mike is also going to mention BMW 2002 FAQ as a great source for 02 information. Not a word. I anxiously await reading Letters to the Editor in future issues regarding the changes. Hopefully, some, 02 related, will make it in the Roundel.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, this is bad news. Like many here, the columnists are the reason for getting the mag to begin with. I am simply not interested in reading the lopsided car comparisons, or another e or i car promo. To me,the club no longer represents the 'real' enthusiasts. I suppose that's time catching up with us. Modern enthusiasts live thru thier Service Advisors.

Perhaps we should start a letter writing campaign. Let's start by getting rid of all of that garbage in the first 15 pages every single month. A sad realization is that the folks sending in pics of their kids and odometers are the 'new enthusiasts'. Makes me want to buy an Alfa.....uggh.

Simply not the Roundel without Mike, Joe, Rob and Jenny. Satch just played a bad hand.

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

The troubling thing to me is that the local chapters seem to have no say so in anything and are not usually even asked for feedback. The chapter I belong to in Tampa is very vintage friendy (Pres has an E24) and he is always frustrated about not getting the member's views represented. It's a shame. Of course the average age of membership is in the late 50's, so to me the future of the BMWCCA seems limited.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

There is a creeping age problem within the BMWCCA, i.e. too old. That needs to be addressed to keep the club and the magazine viable.

I'm definitely tired of the odometer photos and the cute kids in pedal cars or BMW regalia. Bimmer magazine steers clear of such silliness. Racing is way over-emphasized in Roundel. I have no time or $$ to race cars or to follow auto racing. I have a job, after all.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Rob,

I completely understand the issue of demoghraphics and which customer segment purchases. However I count 15 pages of dedicated racing coverage. Have the demographics changes so much that the majority follow racing when it is out of realistic touch and financial reach of most all. And only 4 pages of tech? I must not be in the mainstream of BMW owners (classic and recent).

I think all of us would agree that in addition to the FAQ we seek other pubs to scratch our itch (Hemmings, Classic Motorsports etc). One of the best handled format changes was with Classic Motorsports when it changed from British Car. There are other options for Satch to consider such as a "vintage corner" where you, Mike and Jenny rotate in print and direct readers to the other two non-print columns on the website? This would maintain content but maximize ad revenue per issue page and web content is cheap. Probably beating a dead horse but just a thought.

And yes I looked forward to each installment of the AC series

I think the new Roundel format is just a reflection of the majority of club members, who are no longer interested in doing their own maintenance, and aren't that interested in the mechanicals once you get beyond the sat/nav. I stay a member because I enjoy our chapter events and the track days, but the Roundel gets less and less interesting every year for me. I used to read it cover-to-cover the day I received it, but lately I find myself reading mostly the columns, and now that those are being depleted, there is less to hold my attention. I don't really care for the new layout, either, but my kids like it, so I suspect BMW CCA is going the right direction to snag younger members.

As for racing, I love motorsports, but I've already either watched the races or have read the online articles months before they are reported in the Roundel, so the racing coverage is fairly uninteresting to me as well.

It's hard being an old curmudgeon...

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Well, Rob, I'm afraid you and I, and probably everyone else on this list, are the dinosaurs in the room. I suspect that none of the "demographics" that they're trying to reach (i.e., get money out of) have any interest in repairing their cars. For one thing, it seems like you need an engineering degree and computer programming experience to do most things, and most of the newer owners just take their cars to the dealer when the light comes on. And, of course, that's the way BMW wants it.

I hope Mike voluteered to give up his '02 cents worth, that it wasn't taken away from him. And Satch doesn't mention anything about Joe. I guess Satch hasn't figured out that he's next.

I think the problem is that the BMWspaceCCA has just gotten too big to be a viable club anymore. That's why I'm a member of the smaller de facto clubs like the one that makes up this list, The 02 Group, and the collection of "beezers" (Joe's term) that I've gotten to know over the last 40 years.

David Roach

Molly (Inka 1973 2002)

Bobby (Sapphire 2004 330xi - the new kid)

Root Boy (White 2002 Tacoma)

Well, Rob, I'm afraid you and I, and probably everyone else on this list, are the dinosaurs in the room. I suspect that none of the "demographics" that they're trying to reach (i.e., get money out of) have any interest in repairing their cars. For one thing, it seems like you need an engineering degree and computer programming experience to do most things, and most of the newer owners just take their cars to the dealer when the light comes on. And, of course, that's the way BMW wants it.

I hope Mike voluteered to give up his '02 cents worth, that it wasn't taken away from him. And Satch doesn't mention anything about Joe. I guess Satch hasn't figured out that he's next.

I think the problem is that the BMWspaceCCA has just gotten too big to be a viable club anymore. That's why I'm a member of the smaller de facto clubs like the one that makes up this list, The 02 Group, and the collection of "beezers" (Joe's term) that I've gotten to know over the last 40 years.

David Roach

Molly (Inka 1973 2002)

Bobby (Sapphire 2004 330xi - the new kid)

Root Boy (White 2002 Tacoma)

yes....all pictures of odometers, kids or "look how many bmw's i own" need to be banned from the roundel. those are just lame. it really surprizes me the editors print them.

agree with Ian on the racing coverage. we racers were either there at the race, or it was covered in the online forums after the race.

have not seen the new format yet, but a watershed event for me was last summer when i got a new roundel, flipped to the classifieds first as usual, and there were a grand total of ZERO 2002's for sale. first time i had seen that occur.

BMW(no space)CCA# 32847

2xM3

Glad that I picked up on these comments before mine arrived, it will dampen the shock a little.

I appreciate Rob's candid and realistic insights.

I tend to be loyal to a fault, which is often a good trait, but in this case it has probably kept me attached too long to a magazine that has moved on from the history and heritage of BMW to stay current. It is probably the right move for them. I have been a sucker for the "x years member" push pin for too long. I really enjoy other magazines more (Hemmings Sports and Exotics for one,) never use the CCA discount etc.

Time to move on. I will need to look for ways to tap into my favorite writer's blogs etc, but, like Rob's I am sure they are out there.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

sent my January column in (which of course didn't run)...promised to keep it quiet until the January issue came out.

Looks like you'll have to get your 2002 fix on the FAQ...

If you're a CCA member and aren't happy with the new layout, write in.

I realize that we who own older BMWs aren't a majority in the club, but it would seem that there should be some coverage...

You'll be seeing more feature stories from me, as Satch wants me to continue writing for the Roundel...just no column.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I suggest people write in to the Roundel at:letters@roundel.org

I reformatted my post and sent it in this morning. They will probably ignore us as anachronisms, but we deserve to at least have our opinions counted. And who knows, it worked for the e36 M3!

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Like many here, I used to read Roundel cover to cover the day it arrived, then stow it away in chronological order for safe keeping. These days, I start from the back and read Mike S, Rob, Tech, Mark, Jenny, Joe, scan for anything vintage looking and then life gets in the way and I skip most of the rest.

I guess I'm part of the island of misfit BMW owners. I want to read stories about the best new and vintage BMWs out there and the owners who keep them warm and safe. So Roundel, if you are listening please trim the fat, but keep the goodguys and girls--oh, and see if you can't get one of those 6 page full color ads from Weathertech. That should help keep the lights on for awhile.

Or, you can just continue on reformatting Roundel to try and deliver that elusive key demographic of "18-34 year old males who also have money for a brand new X5 M" I imagine it would look something like this:

31322jr.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--