• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

petronix upgrade question

sonhouse

I just wanna make sure I'm getting the right part.

I have a '72 2002 with the stock "black" coil. I'm about

to get a Bosch red coil. Will I still need the Petronix 1874v?

I still have the original points setup in the original distributor

cap.

Arguably, I think pertronix is of more value to you than a red coil.

Why are you replacing the stock black coil?

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I don't think Pertronix cares what coil you have. As I recall, difference between red and blue is that the latter has internal resistor. Somewhere on FAQ there is comparison. In any event, I'd do Pertronix conversion first as suggested, and see how you like it. I noticed a big difference. Make sure plug wires are good too.

While Pertronix doesn't care what coil you have, it does care deeply about the current going through it. I fried a Pertronix because the resistor in my car was mismatched to my coil. See http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,375136/start,4/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,/sid,a498b4f118db2683c47259eaef306bb7/

There are two schools of thought on the Pertronix. One is that points and condenser work fine, don't fix something that ain't broke. The other is that the Pertronix supplies a more stable spark. I have to say that, when timing my car with points and then timing it with the Pertronix, the position of the timing ball in the window is rock-solid-steady with the Pertronix.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Good points (no pun) from der Hack. SOmewhewrer in archives is post on coil testing.

I saw Pertronix as a way to avoid testing condensers, constantly fiddling with points and dwell meters, etc. I too found timing was much more stable. $75 well invested me thinks.

If I'm not mistaken, the blue coil has internal resistor - that's what I've got.

I am running a rebuilt Tii distributor with Petronix and a red coil. The red coil requires an external ballast resistor (1.8 ohm if memory serves me) that is different than the stock resistor used with the black coil. I have run this setup for 2 years with ZERO problems. Two plugs: the resistor came from La Jolla Independent for $36. It apparently is a Mercedes part, but sourcing it from the local dealer more than doubled the price. Secondly, the Petronix was installed when the distributor was rebuilt by Advanced Distributors in Minnesota. They did a spectacular job and also sell the Petronix parts separately. They should be able to tell you exactly what you need for your application.

Running a hotshot electronic ignition. It specifically started it needed 3 ohms of resistance which a blue coil is already 3 ohms. Had i been running any other color, i would have needed a inline resistor.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.