• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny advice needed...

Rick74

Ok, so I recently installed a newly rebuilt 245 5sp by a shop who shall remain nameless. I have all fairly new hydraulics which were fine with my other 5spd (long painful story as to why I switched in the first place). Anyway, it has been very cold for the bay area and when the car is cold it wont downshift to 2nd and will hardly upshift to 2nd or 3rd without grinding. When the tranny warms up it shifts fine. Also, when i installed this tranny in November everything shifted fine. The tranny also leaks very badly. Does this sound like a tranny issue or maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging when cold? The frustration level is extremely high right now....

Could be one or the other or both, using Reldine MTL fluid? Has always made a world of difference in BM Boxes, make sure your cluth has fresh fluid and key is properly bled, its 15 degrees up here in Dunsmuir, wheres your mercury?

Dave

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

If it's the clutch it will shift easy but crunch going into gear as the clucth is not dissengaging , provided the syncros are good of course.If it's the trans it will not go into gear regardless , my 5 speed in my Hybrid car will not select 5th ( Ford T5 trans ) in my case it is the shifter rail damaged I believe.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

If it's the clutch it will shift easy but crunch going into gear as the clucth is not dissengaging , provided the syncros are good of course.If it's the trans it will not go into gear regardless , my 5 speed in my Hybrid car will not select 5th ( Ford T5 trans ) in my case it is the shifter rail damaged I believe.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Not quite 15 ( that's cold!) more like high 20's at night and high 40's during the day. I am running redline MTL. I think I will try to bleed the clutch again. I did change the line from the master to the slave, but again it was fine for a few weeks when the weather was warmer. Btw I only get to drive this car for short stints on the weekends.