• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Overheating?

sazan

Hello,

I've got an engine overheating issue. The head was rebuilt, cleaned and put together with new seals.

Replaced old thermostat and radiator with a Curt Ingram radiator.

The car ran just fine the first week, but now it has started to overheat.

When the head lights are turned on the temp indicator goes up about 10-degrees angle (not temp), this also happens when turn signals are on.

Would this be an engine issue in addition to sensors acting up? Would you have other suggestions for me to check into?

Thank you very much.

Sazan

Dash ground , fluctuating temp gauge as amp draw rises , engine temp does not really go up 10 degrees because you put your lights/turn sigs on.HTH

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I will check if the dash is properly grounded.

I meant to say that the fluctuation on the temperature reader increases by an angle of about 10 degrees when head light is turned on.

Surely, the engine temperature isn't jumping like that with turning on the head light switch.

Would improper application of timing cover gasket cause this issue? I see some oil leaks there.

Sorry for the confusion due to poor choice of words: degree angle Vs. degree temperature.

Thank you.

it's electrical - instrument cluster - remove & clean electrical

contacs and especially clean grounding points - even add one

ground wire from cluster to body CLEAN METAL CONTACTS!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hi Hans,

The head was planed but I am not sure if with the front cover attached or not. It seems it might have been still attached because of the leak now.

I will be changing the timing cover gasket next week and see it that helps resolve the problem.

Thank you.

The car ran just fine the first week, but now it has started to overheat.

When the head lights are turned on the temp indicator goes up about 10-degrees, this also happens when turn signals are on.

Just to clarify, is the movement of the water temperature needle the ONLY indicator you have of overheating? (My '76 has had this "needle bump" symptom since new -- it sounds like a better ground might solve the problem -- but my '70 had the same thing while I owned it, so I simply ignore it.) And you've never seen the needle bump until last week? Was anything done to the car at that time, e.g., instrument panel pulled and replaced?

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On the electrical front, keep in mind that things can be fine until a certain threshold is crossed, and then they don't work. Corrosion of the grounding wires would be an example. That's where I'd be looking - temp is not going to jump immediately because lights are turned on.

On the oil leak front, if the cover was not milled with the head, you will have a serious leak. Pull the top valve cover and gasket, and see if the top of the front upper cover is flush with the head. If there is a minor step you can try some silicone sealant over the seam and a fresh gasket. Make sure cover is torqued properly, starting from the middle and working out. Failing that, try Permatex "Right Stuff" gasket maker. I hear good things about it.

To clarify the overheating issue:

1. The temperature indicator needle is moving up during my drive but sits just below the red. It was sitting right in the middle last week.

2. The indicator moves upwards when the head light is turned on in addition to the point explained above. This always has been the case and want to get your help to fix it as well.

Thank you.

fix the fluctuating gauge FIRST

oxidation of the electrical contact points and where the gause sections

overlap and connect is very common. Decades of moisture, dust,

vibrations - while you have the cluster apart for cleaning

replace all the bulbs and clean the headlight switch/dimmer

reostat to improve the cluster lighting.

call back about the mechanical " over heating? "

after

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Sazan...I did get your email and wasn't ignoring you..just busy. It seems that you are getting much better advice here, than I could give you in SB. Good Luck.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours