• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Booster and Weber DCOE 40 Clearence

willie002

It seems I've read somewhere there is a clearence problem when using the Weber DCOE 40's on a non-Tii application. What I read, said the horns and air cleaners hit on the brake booster and the best solution is to trade the original booster for a Tii booster because their a little different size. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there any other stumbling blocks in this application? Any information is greatly appreciated........

I've survived damn near everything.

1974 - 2002, Mild - sold to son
1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

A friend of mine uses what is politely referred to as the banana adapter, which curves up 90 deg. Pancake air cleaners sit on top. Angled horns might clear, but then you'd need air cleaner box with 4 holes (i.e., ti or CS style). Prob easier to swap booster.

I've got 40 DCOEs, with Warneford manifold (fairly long runners), and straight velocity stacks, with stock non-tii booster... so its possible. Your mileage may vary.

Kind of a pain to put things in place. I think you have to unbolt rear carb to slide one velocity stack on and off. One velocity stack rubs against booster, so I notched it a tiny bit for clearance. My Uni pod filters don't sit straight, and have to bend around the booster. No problem, just goofy looking.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I think the depth of your manifold has to be considered. I have a TWM Manifold, Tii brake booster and stock air horns. I had to cut ~ 3/4" of the inner part of one of the air horns off, so I can get that horn in & out with everything installed.

With the air cleaners mounted (VERY TIGHT fit) I have about 1/3" between the cleaner and the booster.

Scott

IMG_4785.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Scott -

How is it that you still have the battery up front? Battery relo is a wonderful thing.

Ken

I know... I've thought of doing it many times. I still have wiring to do in the trunk to finish-up my audio system, and rear shoulder belts to install... I may have everything done by my next life time.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I just recalled a friend's 02 where he kept the stock booster w/ side drafts. IIRC he shaved the manifold to make space. I just emailed him to ask if that was correct. But here's his engine bay. He's a lurker on here so maybe he'll chime in.

Tight fit!!

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

SiteNamecopy.jpg

look here

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,990124/#990124

and call IE to get some. not on their website.

i believe they also have an "short" manifold for more clearance.

short horns will fit with stock booster, but sock filters needed and #3 is squished.

DSCN3141.jpg

best solution is tii booster with angled horns. even with those #3 has slight angle

DSCN4186.jpg

2xM3

Really, it's not that big of a deal. I don't understand all the demand for the tii booster. There's quite a bit of room, even with long manifold. With the little short K&N oval filters (without stacks), or the ramflo oval filters, there shouldn't be any problem at all. I forget the size of my horns, but they're normal sized (not shortys), and there's barely any interference. A quick nick with an angle grinder takes care of it.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hey Mikeem - is that a choke cable under the throttle cable? If so, how does that work?

Hi Hans,

Yes its a choke cable but is not connected. I only give a little more throttle during startup. The cable was removed after I shot this picture.

Cheers Micke

Photobucket