• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strange clutch issue (video included)

1971Ginger

I'm having a strange clutch issue with my stock master/ slave (ate brand) and 4 speed.

When I press the clutch pedal in slowly (at the same speed as taking a careful step) I get no resistance and the clutch doesn't feel like it engages. But if I push on the pedal with a tiny bit of force I feel resistance. I bled the Slave cylinder last night and nothing changed. I'm at a loss and before I buy a new master and slave cylinder (/mine are only 1.5 years old max) I was hoping to find some advice.

Please take a look at the video. any guesses or suggestions on what this might be are appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhVQzsRffE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks!

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

If I recall it will stay still until i start disengaging the clutch. I should note that neither cylinder looked leaky when k was under the car last night.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

have had this exact same issue twice. If you rest your foot on the clutch pedal very softly press it will go to the floor with no resistance. If you press quickly with force it will work. Both times I had to install nw clutch masters because they were bleeding by(confirmed both times by a real mechanic, not just me). One thing to make sure of when you install the new one is that the clutch pedal is the same height as the brake pedal. I

had my clutch pedal about an inch lower (not sure why)when I had this issue both times. On the new clutch master I adjusted it out so that the clutch pedal and brake pedal are even. Has worked great so far. So order a new one from BLUNT and adjust it...should fix it

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

If your flex hose from the master to the slave cylinder is old, I'd replace it, then bleed the system again. Nice video. Saves lots of verbiage.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll look into that. I thought about buying a braided replacement.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

have had this exact same issue twice. If you rest your foot on the clutch pedal very softly press it will go to the floor with no resistance. If you press quickly with force it will work. Both times I had to install nw clutch masters because they were bleeding by(confirmed both times by a real mechanic, not just me). One thing to make sure of when you install the new one is that the clutch pedal is the same height as the brake pedal. I

had my clutch pedal about an inch lower (not sure why)when I had this issue both times. On the new clutch master I adjusted it out so that the clutch pedal and brake pedal are even. Has worked great so far. So order a new one from BLUNT and adjust it...should fix it

I thought it might be the master cylibder . I didn't know the pedal was adjustable but I did notice that I would engage at halfway in.

Do you think the difference in height was due to bad cylinders or something else?

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

I agree - the rubber hose may be the place to start. When you push quickly, there may be enough sudden pressure to squeeze by the narrowing inside diameter. I assume you put on new cylinders?

Yep both cylinders were replaced about 1.5 years ago.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

I thought it might be the master cylibder . I didn't know the pedal was adjustable but I did notice that I would engage at halfway in.

Do you think the difference in height was due to bad cylinders or something else?

The height difference is not due to a bad master. It is due to incorrect adjustment. Trust me I have been down this exact same road. You may want to adjust that pedal out to the same height and see how she works. I am not sure where I got the first 2 MCs from but my last one I got from BLUNT and it worked fine. Both times mine started doing it just after the year mark on age. I run a 5 speed but it makes no difference. I seriously doubt it is the hose. If the hose was expanding some you would not lose all pressure when you barely press the pedal...that MC is bypassing.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

The height difference is not due to a bad master. It is due to incorrect adjustment. Trust me I have been down this exact same road. You may want to adjust that pedal out to the same height and see how she works. I am not sure where I got the first 2 MCs from but my last one I got from BLUNT and it worked fine. Both times mine started doing it just after the year mark on age. I run a 5 speed but it makes no difference. I seriously doubt it is the hose. If the hose was expanding some you would not lose all pressure when you barely press the pedal...that MC is bypassing.

cool let me go ahead and give that a shot. is the Adjustment done by the pedal which is inside the car or is the adjustment on the outside in the engine bay?

I think I recall seeing a long thread with a nut on the mastercylinder near the pedal. Is that where the adjustment is made? thank you

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

The threaded nut, just pop off the 19mm nut and bolt and turn in out.

Maybe that bit more travel from the top will cure it..if not buy a new one and keep it adjusted out....get your next one from BLUNT. Not sure why the others failed but the one he sent worked fine after 2 failed ones from another source

The real scary part of having the issue you and I had is when making a left in an intersection. Several times I would take off in first, normal pace then when I would put my foot on the clutch to go to second it would sink to the floor with oncoming traffic. Scary stuff. Makes you feel very unconfident when driving.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

1971Ginger,

Just for your info. When you step on the clutch pedal, you disengage the clutch. When you take your foot off the pedal, you engage it.

Replace the master cylinder and bleed the system. Don't forget to lubricate all the pivots. I could hear your pedal squeaking in the video.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

......OR -

jack up front and support with stands

one man depresses clutch pedal from inside,

while another man lays under car watching

how much the slave cylinder moves

the rubber hose does not expand outward as a problem,

the rubber rots on the inside and swells blocking

flow internally - replace any rubber brake/clutch

hose after 15years - dont stress over 'braided'

hose - rubber will work fine - just like the last one lasted 40 years!

understand the function of each component

study the system

02HYDCLUTCH.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

......OR -

jack up front and support with stands

one man depresses clutch pedal from inside,

while another man lays under car watching

how much the slave cylinder moves

the rubber hose does not expand outward as a problem,

the rubber rots on the inside and swells blocking

flow internally - replace any rubber brake/clutch

hose after 15years - dont stress over 'braided'

hose - rubber will work fine - just like the last one lasted 40 years!

I look underneath the car while having a friend press the pedal and while pressing slowly I noticed that the master cylinder was not engaging at all but when pressing on the pedal quicker.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)