• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dipstick height spec

PatrickMTL

The PO of my car has installed some rubber hose and NO clamps between the dipstick tube and the block. It looks ghetto, doesn't seal the bottom end, and pulls the whole tube out whenever I check the oil level. Needless to say I want to fix it properly. Can anyone give me the distance from the block where the dipstick goes into the block to the top of the dipstick tube, where the dipstick itself seals the tube?

Thanks in advance.

P@

Das Moneypit, an F20-swapped 1973

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the way I did it was to change the oil, put in the proper amount, let it settle then adjust the stick to the correct measurement. Not sure how else to measure it.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

one way to determine the distance is to fill the car with the specified amount of oil. Let set for awhile for the oil to settle in the pan.

Then adjust the hose, tube, whatever until the dipstick reads full.

Bobs your uncle.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

one way to determine the distance is to fill the car with the specified amount of oil. Let set for awhile for the oil to settle in the pan.

Then adjust the hose, tube, whatever to read full.

Bobs your uncle.

must have beat you by seconds:)

• Like 1

Don

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

When I replaced the hose on my dip stick tube recently I checked my wife's '76, which is original, and the two steel tubes butt up against each other with approx. equal amounts of hose on each side of the butt. Do put hose clamps on each end, preferably good German ones (though, as per the recent threads, who knows where they're made. We can only hope they've met the factory's standards before they get into our hands).

Two subsequent oil changes have indicated the level on the dip stick is correct.

Bob Napier

Now we will.

Choices: read owners manual

Read Haynes book

Read the search results

Or just fing guess, have a great day

You asked the question and received several correct answers.

Don

Don

Now we will.

Choices: read owners manual

Read Haynes book

Read the search results

Or just fing guess, have a great day

You asked the question and received several correct answers.

Don

I did search the FAQ, but found nothing; I do try an avoid asking questions that have already been answered. I thought it was reasonable to assume that someone out there might be willing to grab a measuring tape the next time they were poking around in the engine bay of their "proper" car.

I do not have a copy of the owners manual, or a Haynes.

I don't like to guess when it comes to oil level measurement.

Thank you just the same for your time.

Now all I have to do is figure out how many milliliters are in a US pint...

Don

The PO of my car has installed some rubber hose and NO clamps between the dipstick tube and the block. It looks ghetto, doesn't seal the bottom end, and pulls the whole tube out whenever I check the oil level. Needless to say I want to fix it properly. Can anyone give me the distance from the block where the dipstick goes into the block to the top of the dipstick tube, where the dipstick itself seals the tube?

Thanks in advance.

P@

I think they all have hoses between the pipe in the block and the dipstick tube. You need the clamps. As far as oil level, use the factory spec and adjust the tube via the rubber hose. You may or may not have a factory dipstick OR dipstick tube, so the measurement off another engine might be misleading.

It's also a PITA to stick a tape measure down there and read it if you have the factory air filter canister in place.

Best

Nate

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

How will or how do or why do you want to figure out how many millimeters are in a US pint?

To make sense of how much oil to add ;)

I'm a metric individual. And so is my car.

So, 259mm, thanks.

All good things from you guys, thanks.