• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Connector - where does it go!?

mavhh

Hello, car is a (British RHD) '74 2002Auto - I've had the engine out and converted to manual. Engine/gearbox run really sweet. Idle is fine, power delivery is almost perfect (slight bog down around 2500rpm). Only one problem so far last night it was cold out, it won't idle until warmed up (keeping the gas pedal down a bit it ran sweet). This morning (not much warmer to be honest) it starts and idles fine.

However, somehow I have a connector left over - I'm sure it's something to do with the Auto Choke (and therefor the not idling when cold problem.) I cannot find anywhere to put the connector! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Dave

Go RHD!

Looks like you have a water choke, so it isn't that. The other carb related option is an anti-diesel idle solenoid but you say the car idles fine (this could be nobbled so it doesn't do anything).

A further option is one of the temperature senders on the manifold that I have never heard an adequate explanation for beyond 'emissions'.

As for your bog, check the vacuum secondary on the carb is opening smoothly (or at all).

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

indeed - Green/White wire goes to choke heating element

on Automatic cars - look around and under the choke=

empty spade terminal waiting for loose wire end

your automatic choke needs to go to Hi-Step cam and

give approx 1800 ...2300 rpm after cold start.

one jab of the throttle pedal after approx. 90 ...120 seconds

it'll come off the the Hi-Step and continue on the Second-Step

at about 1200 rpm - after the heating element along with water

housing are up to temp - 8 ...12 of running it's off any Step and on

to the base idle speed.

and it should not have a stumble at 2500 rpm

-mechanical timing advance mech needs to be

smooth and functioning

-ignition timing needs to be correct

-carb secondary opening needs to be functioning

-all carb jets need to be spotlessly clean

-float level needs to be correct

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Got it! Flat on my back - looking up at the bottom of the manifold is a temp sensor with the spade folded over flat. Tweaked it back over, cleaned it... connectors all have a home now. The wire I had connected to the choke is actually for the temp sensor I just found, and the mystery connector is for the choke.

All runs fine now - except the bogging down. I'll work through the list as described. I think the mech advance is nice and smooth, and the timing is spot on (i did it yesterday!). So i guess its something carb related... update later!

Thanks for all the tips!

Dave

Hello, a thought on your "bog". Looking down into the carb throats, you will see the auxiliary venturis. They go across the throat and distribute fuel after throttle position passes idle circuit. Wiggle them and see if they are loose. If they are, this will cause the bog you refer to. They are retained in place by 6mm grub screws with slotted heads through the side of the carb. If they are loose, remove the screws and reinstall them with loctite. Do not over tighten or they will distort. You may have to remove the carb top to facilitate or hold them in place with needle nose pliers so they dont fall into the throat when you remove the screws. Good luck!