• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nasty sound coming from rear passenger side

superbuick3

Hey guys, so starting yesterday a bizzare noise just happened when I was driving, it is very nasty sounding and does not sound good at all. It sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side and more particularly the wheel or something around it. It almost sounds like if I took a rock and threw it in my wheel well while going 45 mph and let it bounce around in there, or something along the lines of that. I have just adjusted the emergency handbrake and discovered that the drivers side cable is the only one that can be adjusted, and the passenger side cable, which I assume goes to the rear passenger side drum, appears to be broken or loose. I took the car right home after hearing these noises and too an empty parking lot across the street from my house to test and the noise is very random, but does happen when I brake sometimes. Not sure what this could be at all, I just got new calipers, rotars and pads btw as well as a new brake master cylinder.

Sounds like a loose brake pad, maybe one or more of the retaining springs broke? Both the wobbling pad and the remains of the spring could cause the noises. Or the end of the wire, if that´s broken. Remove the drum and have a look.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

YES ....... STOP! driving the car - a rear

wheel can lock up solid while your bombing

along in the fast lane while your texting your fluff.

jack up car and support on stands

with the e-brake released,

grab wheel at 12-and-6 o-clock and try to rock

the wheel - looking for a failed rear wheel beariing

as above - remove the rear wheels, rear drums,

and look for loose, broken, seized rusty brake

shoe parts

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I recall we started this discussion a few days ago! I agree, don't drive the car until you can pull the brake drum and see what's going on. Could be a broken spring, or seized joint on e-brake mechanism. How many miles on car?

broken...

Tthe lever that's attached to the brake shoe to which the cable end attaches is now free to flop around and hit the brake drum as you drive. In addition, if the e-brake cable broke right at the end, the last few inches of cable plus the swedged end fitting have fallen off the lever and are also banging around inside the brake drum--or have embedded themselves in a brake shoe.

As CD said, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR 'till you've pulled the appropriate drum to see what falls out. Hope you didn't score the drum/ruin a shoe...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That's exactly what happened to Mike Brewer when he drove home his new Isetta - I watched "Wheeler Dealers" last night ...

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

Also check to see if the castle nut on the stub axle is loose, mine did exactly what you said and CD suggested it could be a very worn stub axle...it was, and could have been very bad if that had failed. I threw it in my neighbors pool as suggested...again by CD. BTW, my neighbors pool is full of old worn out parts...

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ

Also check to see if the castle nut on the stub axle is loose, mine did exactly what you said and CD suggested it could be a very worn stub axle...it was, and could have been very bad if that had failed. I threw it in my neighbors pool as suggested...again by CD. BTW, my neighbors pool is full of old worn out parts...

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ