• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you into 2002-ing?

dasfrogger

I'm sure this has been covered at some point before, but I couldn't find anything in the search. So, What got you into 2002-ing?

I was 20 and wanted to learn more about how to maintain/work on a car (being a car jockey hanging around Mercedes trained technicians does that) and loved the styling. I got my 73 auto from a family friend who had it for 23 years.

photo DSC_0064.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest gliding_serpent

My dad got a new 71' 02 when he was in his mid-late 20's. He was into photography, and the "built like a Leica, Cruises at 100mph" sold him without ever having laid eyes on a BMW (in the flesh) prior. He drove it across Canada and liked it so much that he traded it in for a new Tii in 73. He kept it ever since. As of last year, it is now mine.

God spoke to me.

He said if I didn't hurl myself into the deepest, darkest pit of debt via an addiction to 2002s, that he would kill all the kittens in Massachusetts.

Cute, fluffy, doughy eyed kittens.

....and a baby Panda.

In Massachusetts.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

God spoke to me.

He said if I didn't hurl myself into the deepest, darkest pit of debt via an addiction to 2002s, that he would kill all the kittens in Massachusetts.

Cute, fluffy, doughy eyed kittens.

Wait, that's what happened to me too.

Broke my neck in the back seat of my first, been in love ever since, with the car silly, lookin to break my back in the front seat, need I say more??????????

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Then theres this Neubering thing, just waitin til classic starts sellin neu o2s again, make mine a inka roundie ti, no flares just a Porsche killer

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Was there any other choice?

It's everything I would ever want in a car and not very much more. Granted, I'll install fuel injection, turbo, a nice interior and some other nice bits, but at it's core, it's still a beautifully simple, amazing handling, badass little car.

FR, well balanced, room for four and space in the trunk... the list goes on...

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

As a military brat growing up in Germany I was exposed to them courtesy of GIs and untold teenage freedoms.

Since then, I always wanted one. Not long ago I found out I should make up my own bucketlist. Well, I realized that a bucketlist might be the same as a "I am gonna dielist." Thinking I might NOT croak I decideded to invent the "fukitlist." So, I bought myself the car I always said I would eventually have.

Now when I am asked why,I reply, "Why not? Fukit!"

I like this list a lot better!

I fell in love with my first car as a high school student military brat in Kaiserslautern Germany. She was a 69 2002Ti I drove through my senior year. I bought her for $900.00 back in 1985 and am still sick I had to let her go before returning back to the good ol USA. My daily commute to school included an Autobahn stretch and German back roads that are now but dreams. Fond memory is an ADAC guy telling me (18 year old kid) how dangerous these little pocket rockets were at speed on the autobhahn when cought with a cross wind.. 25 years later, I found myself wanting to relive that youth.. Revision B is a fully restored 74Tii I got that is immaculate. A year and a half following the Tii purchase, I've acquired a 73 and 74 (both 2002's) that will be joined and end up as one, from MY blood sweat and tears.. My love runs deep!!

post-20696-13667668886021_thumb.jpg

post-20696-13667668886581_thumb.jpg

post-19597-13667668887168_thumb.jpg

post-19597-13667668887558_thumb.jpg

74 2002Tii

73 2002 project

11 335d

doing some careful research on a car that handled like a sports car but had the carrying capacity of a sedan and then reading David E. Davis' "Turn Your Hymnals" story. The 02 was our daily driver, our go on vacation car, and I liked to autocross, so it had to do all three.

Been driving one ever since--43+ years and 460k miles total...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I bought my '71 1600 in April 1979; I was going to San Diego State that fall and my buddy Chris told me I needed a cool car. 6 years and a 100,000 miles later, I used it to lure my now wife into dating me. She had an MGB/GT and I was equally impressed. Here's a pic of us when we first met.

121-2144_IMG_zps50159c2a.jpg

I was the 2nd, 4th, and 6th owner of the car, over a period of 18 years. Put well over 200,000 miles on it, and it never once left me on the side of the road. "Binkley."

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

the seed was planted by my mother and a 1941 Packard Convertible.............. my view as a child

404861-8.jpg

......then I bought a set of New Old Stock MUD FLAPS.

MUDFLAPS.jpg[/img]

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"