• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Turbo on eBay

kris

Featured on Bring a Trailer today...

Yummy.

Noted the comment from BAT reading “We’d go for a drivable replica version” I think BAT was convinced of that during the trip to SoCal Vintage. A tribute/clone/replica version was wing on the trek down from SF.

How about those cameos of Tommy boy?

Who’s gonna stir the pot over at BAT, Deila?

But what do I know

Nice car, but said no crash damage or rust, taillight panel is incorrect for the VIN, exhaust should be side exit. Trunk has no body schutz, or texture on wheel arches and looks as if trunk floor was replaced as well. Any comments?

As for the side or center exit, BMW made the switch mid-production in 74. Not unlikely this is original. I believe, and again I say believe the replacement panels after production had the stamping for the side exit and was cut-out for the center.

Only thing I can say is those exhaust clamps were not yellow cad!!!!! ;-)

The internet police on this forum can set the record straight.

But what do I know

Do you want my badge number? Tail light panel for turbos was different from regular 02s, to accommodate bigger exhaust tubing size, and the center exit exhaust was fairly late in the run, post 1100 or 1200 VIN. Also unlike stock later 02s, turbos did not have the uncut, trimmed hole on the right. You are totally correct about the yellow chromate clamps!! Also trunk flooring panels were not covered with Elephant skin, but we're painted gray and there was a rubber mat on top. Could have filled those extra drilled holes in the bulkhead while it was being painted, for 110,000. Buy it Now!

Just saying.

They switched from side exit exhaust to center at 4291212. Six units after my car was made.

And do you happen to know the build date for your car? I, like you, suspect there was a simple cut-off date and VIN for the switchover to center exhaust.

James Taylor's recent 2002 book, however, says (p. 156) that evidence suggests only cars for some markets switched from right to center exhaust. Given that there are many other (mostly niggling) errors in this book -- e.g., the descriptions on p. 159 of "turbo alloys" as 5 1/2"-wide rims -- I'm thinking he didn't consult a broad spectrum of original resources or authorities in preparing the text. (The 5 1/2x13, ET18, alloy rims illustrated were early European e21 rims, whereas bona fide "turbo rims" were 6x13, ET13, and, like the much more common 5x13, ET28, size, were produced by both F.P.S. and Mahle.)

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

And yet another turbo on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-FACTORY-TURBO-/160978029362?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_794wt_948

"1 of 210 Polaris in existence"? I know more than 210 Polaris examples were built. Is this a reasonable number for the surviving examples?

Looks like another good car!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)