• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 1600 trans replacement

Guest Anonymous

If you are just switching one for another, there should be none needed. I swapped mine around 20 years ago & if I remember correctly, I just disconnected everything, dropped the tranny down & put the other one up & in & reconnected everything. I know there is probably more to it & there may be some gaskets, It was such a long time ago & I really only remember that it was pretty easy & straighforward.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

If you are just switching one for another, there should be none needed. I swapped mine around 20 years ago & if I remember correctly, I just disconnected everything, dropped the tranny down & put the other one up & in & reconnected everything. I know there is probably more to it & there may be some gaskets, It was such a long time ago & I really only remember that it was pretty easy & straighforward.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Gaskets and seals are available individually or as a kit. On a 50 year old trans, I'd be changing front and back seals, and especially the trans shifter rod seal. The back seal might be optional, since you can change it without dropping the trans, but might as well do all. Also an opportunity to change rear main seal if necessary.

I got the seals from Bavauto but prob available elsewhere. I have an older packaged rebuild kit with gaskets. Check realoem to see if it still exists, but I'd do the three seals and not open the case. I also have an entire 1600 trans if it comes to that.