• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long tail bumper differences...

bnam

I'm toying with going to the Euro/pre-74US bumper on my 74Tii. I've picked up a used rear one. While checking for parts for it I noticed that the rubber strip is attached to this bumper with bolts, while other bumpers I've seen on ebay and on the parts diagram have slots (vs round holes on the ones I have) and plastic clips that go into the slots. The parts diagram does not show bumpers with round holes for the rubber strip or the bolts needed (which I need).

How can I find the right part number for these bolts? And, why is there a different style than shown on the parts diagram?

Thx,

Byas

can you provide photos,

or a link to the parts diagram

that you speak of ?

see what you want here ?

32.png

1/1973 EURO rear bumper

31.png

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

My 75 (euro) bumper has the clips seen on the diagram CD provided, but not in plastic as you said, but metal. And, again as in diagram, bolts with square heads that fit the same slot in the rubber strip.

As I recall, it´s been a few years since I had it apart. I believe I replaced all the clips with the bolt version, easier to tighten an old rubber strip tight that way.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

Sometime back I bought a rear side bumper for my Touring, it too had the holes not slots (maybe aftermarket?). You have to fork out $$$ and use the bolts that are normally just on the extreme end of the bumper.

However, if the clips are now plastic, perhaps bolts are better, even if expensive.

post-21045-13667669884871_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yes, that pic shows the difference -- one has holes for bolts and the other only has slots for clips. The parts diag only shows the clips version.

So, what's the part number for the bolt that's used on the round holed version? I thought it could be #22 in the first pic the CD posted, but I now think that's the bolt to hold the side piece to the body of the car.

Sometime back I bought a rear side bumper for my Touring, it too had the holes not slots (maybe aftermarket?). You have to fork out $$$ and use the bolts that are normally just on the extreme end of the bumper.

However, if the clips are now plastic, perhaps bolts are better, even if expensive.

Several years ago, I purchased a new rubber rub strip with hardware for my 73tii (long ends) and was sent the clips that use the slots - not bolts. Had to exchange one type for the other (from Max).

D0F563BE.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Yes, that pic shows the difference -- one has holes for bolts and the other only has slots for clips. The parts diag only shows the clips version.

So, what's the part number for the bolt that's used on the round holed version? I thought it could be #22 in the first pic the CD posted, but I now think that's the bolt to hold the side piece to the body of the car.

It is #22 + 2, 3 & 4. #14 is the bolt to fix the side bumper through the body.

Les

FAQ Member #17

They aren't a standard bolt. It's a flat plate that slides into the bumper strip with a threaded section coming off at 90 degrees. I know that they are available from several of the 2002 parts suppliers at least.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

Any chance you have the part number for the bolt?

#22 part No 51 11 1 815 611

It looks like 2 & 3 have been combined to #4 (#2 has been discontinued)

#4 part No 51 11 1 835 624

Les

FAQ Member #17

Illustration 51/9 Penske Parts (parts book)

For some strange reason, BMW wants you to buy (15) clips # 20 + (2) fasteners # 21.

On my car, I had to buy a total of (17) Fasteners # 21

BMW # 51 1 11815611 "Fastener" # 21

M6 Hex nut (now self locking) # 14

Wave washer # 23

20 51111826895 CLIP 0.01 15 $1.56

21 51111815611 FASTENER 0.01 2 $4.17

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

That puzzled me too as the bumpers I'd seen in pics were either all holes or all slots 17 of each and none were 15 slots + 2 holes. But, that's not to say that such a beast did not exist.

B

Originally the bumpers had all slots (total 17), but, the end slot (toward the wheel arch) in each side bumper had the bolt. Hence 15 clips and 2 bolts.

Rear bumpers with all holes would want 17 bolts.

Les

FAQ Member #17