• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Sensor Wire Rub

jjbunn

I'm chasing an ignition problem. The PO had fitted a Pertronix system. Inside the distributor I found that the red/black wires running to the sensor were rubbing against the black sleeve fitted on the rotor, and the friction had actually worn away most of the insulation on one of the wires! If I'd not caught this soon, the wire itself would have been worn away. After moving both wires away from the rotor, the inside now looks like this:

20130320_175001.jpg

I'm going to prevent the wires being pulled out in the future by attaching a small cable tie around them, just inside the entrance hole.

'73 Malaga 2002 "Cyril" http://bmw2002driver.wordpress.com/

Prior Scruffy Drivers: '69 E-Type 2+2, '74 914, '71 TR6, '73 MGBGT

Wrong pertronix unit for your reverse points dizzy. Wires should exit the housing straight, not wrapped around the shaft.

That's puzzling. The car has run just fine with the Pertronix unit shown. So, it may be wrong, but it works :-)

That's puzzling. The car has run just fine with the Pertronix unit shown. So, it may be wrong, but it works :-)

Not a question of whether it works or not, the wrap around can cause premature failure of the unit. Pertronix offers three different units for the distributors used for the 02. For straight points, reverse points, and, mechanical advance distributors. Supposedly these have a base plate which compensates the dwell angle.

1847v

Not a question of whether it works or not, the wrap around can cause premature failure of the unit. Pertronix offers three different units for the distributors used for the 02. For straight points, reverse points, and, mechanical advance distributors. Supposedly these have a base plate which compensates the dwell angle.

1847v

Ah, OK - I understand now - thanks for clarifying that. So in fact the problem with the wires rubbing is simply because the PO fitted the wrong configuration unit.

I was not impressed by the thin wires from my Pertronix 1847V (fits VW applications too). Still sits in the box - maybe I'll use it on the '69. Could they make it any cheaper? How the hell are you supposed to get those wires thru the original condensor opening without screwing them up on the advance plate?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"