• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Fan Tome Gourmet

Those rounded clips are not the ones I see on the 4 boxes I disassembled recently. These ones are flat spring steel. I wonder if they would work for you....

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

What Ray said......sorta.

You need a set (4) of the later type clips.

Probably one of the characters in the "for sale" section that has 5 of everything could help you attain.

DSCN2621sm.JPG.2016041b22c310f1093e20cabc66d2c1.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

8 hours ago, jgerock said:

Some fan motors will not fit in some of the heater box lids. That's why there are two types of retainer clips (flat and rounded).

Yes, I see now that Arminyack's box top is slimmer where the motor sits. Looks like he'll have to find a "late" box top to suit the motor.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2017 at 9:23 AM, 02Les said:

What Ray said......sorta.

You need a set (4) of the later type clips.

Probably one of the characters in the "for sale" section that has 5 of everything could help you attain.

DSCN2621sm.JPG.2016041b22c310f1093e20cabc66d2c1.JPG

I'm struggling to get my fan clips on. I have a 74 and ordered the Porsche fan 0130007081. My heater box only had three of the flat clips on it instead of four. The clips also look a bit slimmer than the ones in the above photo. The clips are NLA. Does anyone know of way to secure the fan using a different clip? Anyone else have trouble mounting this Porsche motor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mike tunney

Here is a weird idea for those folks who have an early box top (thin fan motor mount) and a newer fan motor (plastic wrapped taller motor):

Attach some old distributor cap clips to the box top from the bottom so that they clip over the bottom edge of the fan motor.   Just a thought about using that type of spring clamp.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 6/24/2017 at 9:23 AM, jgerock said:

Here is a weird idea for those folks who have an early box top (thin fan motor mount) and a newer fan motor (plastic wrapped taller motor):

Attach some old distributor cap clips to the box top from the bottom so that they clip over the bottom edge of the fan motor.   Just a thought about using that type of spring clamp.

Thanks for the idea. I tried this and it didn't work. I'm going to try one more time with my original clips or look at making some. Otherwise, I'll order the fan from Blunt. This whole thing is holding me up from finishing other projects. It's time to move on!

mike tunney

5 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

Thanks for the idea. I tried this and it didn't work. I'm going to try one more time with my original clips or look at making some. Otherwise, I'll order the fan from Blunt. This whole thing is holding me up from finishing other projects. It's time to move on!

I wound up using safety wire. I ran it through the cut outs in in the front of the motor, then anchored it the plastic housing in a few places. its holding so far!

+1 for safety wire. I've extended that usage to the three or four tabs that are normally clipped together to hold the lower edge of the heater box housing halves together. I wrap a piece of wire around both tabs, and use the twist method (a la Spanish windlass) to tighten the tabs together. As anyone who has disassembled the heater probably noticed, those clips get quite rusty and usually break.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

1 hour ago, arminyack said:

I wound up using safety wire. I ran it through the cut outs in in the front of the motor, then anchored it the plastic housing in a few places. its holding so far!

I was thinking about safety wire and was wondering if it was possible. Good to know it's working for you. I also thought about drilling 4 holes on opposite side of the box in that cage area and putting screws in to hold the motor in place. Maybe I'll do a combo of both. Thanks!

mike tunney