• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW 2002 $32,500?

mojo02

I love it how any dealer you go to just jacks up the prices on 02's to ridiculous proprotions.

Pretty pricey and not even a TII!!

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1976-BMW-2002-1073214.xhtml?conversationId=6329

In the market again...

'75 Charmonix -sold

'74 Tii-Granatrot -sold

'76 Charmonix -sold(Hawaii)

'74 Verona -sold

'73 Malaga -sold

'69 Sahara -sold

Ridiculous price for a non-tii but we have witnessed some pretty odd sales over the last few years: a not-very-fresh '75 automatic selling at auction in the $20Ks just because it was touted as a "one-owner, all-original" car, the actual condition denying those all-original claims.

If this is truly the original paint, it's quite amazing. The inside of the trunk reveals something that looks closer to original Mintgrun to me, slightly "softer" in color than the exterior photos reveal (I recognize that photo colors can lie), and with ordinary wear, particularly on the rear shock towers. Still, even in the trunk there are oddities: the elephant skin is missing from the area between the shock towers, as are the two narrow strips of elephant skin that cover the transitions from the floor to the shock towers. Given time, these pieces may fall off (my two narrow strips have), but the factory affixed these three pieces with a golden/brown contact cement that generally leaves a residue. Did someone painstakingly clean off this residue? It's certainly possible. Or is this an excellent 25-year-old re-paint?

My point is simply that a lot can happen to a car in 30 to 40 years. Even a single owner, such as I have been for my '76, can't remember everything: my passenger door was obviously re-painted at some point but I can't for the life of me recall it, and I can't find a receipt! Anyone seriously considering purchasing an example like this for these kinds of prices should question "original paint" claims: recall that these cars rotted fast, certainly the metallic paints deteriorated quickly even with garaging and excellent care, and companies such as AIR (?) of Allentown, PA, were doing ground-up restorations and high-end "Ferrari shops" were doing careful re-paints from the mid-'70s onward. So if you're paying "original paint" prices, just make certain you're getting original paint.

I must admit, in the '70s we considered Mintgrun a "wussie" color. Times have changed, at least for me: this car looks great!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Trunk paint looks original, exterior looks a little dark for original mint grun. $32K for a car you'll need to smog in CA seems a bit pricy, but I love the color. The price of restored cars (tii and non-Tii) has been trending up over the past couple of months. Hard to find anything decent under $10K. Good for sellers, bad for buyers.

IMHO

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I love it how any dealer you go to just jacks up the prices on 02's to ridiculous proprotions.

Pretty pricey and not even a TII!!

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1976-BMW-2002-1073214.xhtml?conversationId=6329

They might seem sort of ridiculous based on where pricing has been. There is/was a '73-1/2 (Porsche) 911T on Ebay recently (still might be there) Targa in top restored condition for........for......$110,000 (BIN). Didn't see any takers but you never know. For a "T" no less, not an "S" or even an "E". I think you can count on nicely restored o2's and Tii's escalating in price. The cars that are original or have original parts and or proper paint jobs and that don't deviate from the base models will fetch the highest prices (they pretty much always do).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

very minty fresh!

Did not sell on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mint-Green-74k-fantastically-original-specimen-/121089291689?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_15037wt_958

Interesting to note that it is a 49 state 1976 2002, so it will not have all the required smog equipment to pass in CA (wrong exhaust manifold or thermo reactor, and missing EGR filter)

This looks like Poon in Surrey BC's car.....

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

Interesting to note that it is a 49 state 1976 2002, so it will not have all the required smog equipment to pass in CA (wrong exhaust manifold or thermo reactor, and missing EGR filter)

Admitting I know little to nothing about CA rules, I have heard two different stories about registering '76 49-state versions in CA: (1.) it's not possible (unless you convert the 49-state into a CA version); or (2.) CA doesn't, at this point in history, look to the original CA versus 49-state qualification but bases the visual inspection on whether the car possesses all its original emissions equipment (assuming, in each case, that the car can pass the actual testing of the engine's emissions). I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious whether any '76 49-state versions are registered in CA.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)