• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk and drive? Text and drive.. just dont.

slash02

So glad to hear you are OK! Cell phone use is a pet peeve of mine also! In a recent trip from upstate NY to Philly to pick my son up from college, almost every person I passed (it seemed like anyway) was on their cell phone, not paying attention to what they were doing. I know it is not against the law in PA but it is still unsafe! Plus there were just as many in NY where is IS against the law. Please dont talk or text while driving! It is not worth it.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Data recovery on my side didn't go well. I don't know if the camera zero wrote the card or what, but I got a nice call from our PD, they have a guy, so Its off to them to see what they can recover. here's hoping.

Glad you made it out relatively okay. I commute from the East Bay to SF primarily on my bike and it’s amazing to see what people do in their cars (and motorcycles). I picked up a helmet cam as well after almost getting side swiped by a car jumping into the commuter lane. Lone occupant. The camera has helped a lot in terms of analyzing my overall riding as well as my reactions to sticky situations. Definitely ATGATT.

1974 Inka Orange 2002

1979 Vespa P200e

Glad you made it out relatively okay. I commute from the East Bay to SF primarily on my bike and it’s amazing to see what people do in their cars (and motorcycles). I picked up a helmet cam as well after almost getting side swiped by a car jumping into the commuter lane. Lone occupant. The camera has helped a lot in terms of analyzing my overall riding as well as my reactions to sticky situations. Definitely ATGATT.

I noticed that too. sometimes I'd review my rides on video to see where I could improve, also, to see how my reactions were to other vehicles, did I remember seeing everything on the trip versus what the vid showed ETC.

I'm a huge fan of dashcams etc. I helped to catch a drunk driver and a reckless driver because of the dash cam. You know, had my passenger call the police, described the vehicle and direction and mentioned that I had dashcam evidence showing the guy taking a swig going by me.

I find the current atitudes towards driving very disturbing, and part of the issue is automakers are marketing cars with FB a twitter. I was at a car show recently and both ford and dodge are talking about twitter and FB integration with the vehciles. Never mind cupholders everywhere auto parking, auto collision avoidance etc. People are being lulled into this idea they don't actually have to drive.

Heard an ad on the radio here in Calgary. an Acura ad. A woman and a man in this car babbling. She plays the role of the backseat driver.

Woman: "What, you just change lanes now and don't shoulder check"

Man: "No need, with the new acura blah crash avoidance system"

And it goes on, basically the whole thing was framed as with our new car you don't need to look where you are going!

This is from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

On February 1, 2010, police will begin issuing tickets for using hand-held cell phones and communications and entertainment devices while driving in Ontario, Canada.

Drivers caught using a hand-held device will be issued a $155 ticket.

Since the ban on hand-held devices became Ontario law on October 26, 2009, the focus has been on educating drivers about Ontario's new road rules for hand-held wireless communication and entertainment devices. This education period gave drivers a chance to adjust to the new law.

The distracted driving law makes it illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices. Hands-free use of these devices is permitted. The new law also prohibits the viewing of display screens unrelated to driving such as laptop computers or DVD players.

Police, paramedics and firefighters, as well as some commercial drivers and public service workers may continue to use certain hand-held devices when performing their duties. All drivers may use hand-held devices to call 9-1-1.

Even though this law has been in effect for 3 years, I still see a ton of people talking and texting every day. It's got to be the easiest ticket to write for LE. I see at least 10 people on my 15 minute commute to work every morning, and I'm not even looking for them.

Honestly, I think they should make it a $1,000.00 fine. Not only is it dangerous but I always end up behind some a**hole texting when the light goes green. They don't move until you honk, only to have them they flip you the bird. WTF?

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

This is from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
On February 1, 2010, police will begin issuing tickets for using hand-held cell phones and communications and entertainment devices while driving in Ontario, Canada.

Drivers caught using a hand-held device will be issued a $155 ticket.

Since the ban on hand-held devices became Ontario law on October 26, 2009, the focus has been on educating drivers about Ontario's new road rules for hand-held wireless communication and entertainment devices. This education period gave drivers a chance to adjust to the new law.

The distracted driving law makes it illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices. Hands-free use of these devices is permitted. The new law also prohibits the viewing of display screens unrelated to driving such as laptop computers or DVD players.

Police, paramedics and firefighters, as well as some commercial drivers and public service workers may continue to use certain hand-held devices when performing their duties. All drivers may use hand-held devices to call 9-1-1.

Even though this law has been in effect for 3 years, I still see a ton of people talking and texting every day. It's got to be the easiest ticket to write for LE. I see at least 10 people on my 15 minute commute to work every morning, and I'm not even looking for them.

Honestly, I think they should make it a $1,000.00 fine. Not only is it dangerous but I always end up behind some a**hole texting when the light goes green. They don't move until you honk, only to have them they flip you the bird. WTF?

I'm moving to Ontario in summer, with my 2002. :)

When this law came out in Alberta, I said the same thing $1000!

Here it is like $174 and no points. A joke. Easy to enforce, but not cheap, this one requires police on the roads. not just a camera.

And I don't understand that, they are breaking the law, and you're the one getting the finger. I find we're more distracted here than in ontario, as least from the trips i've taken the last few years.

My brother is paralyzed in the right upper quarter of his body and because of that he had part of his right arm amputated. It's been about 12 years since that, the girl pulled out in front of him and didnt see him. People just dont watch for motorcycles. :/

Wow!!! That's terrible. :(

Yeah people don't and mixing being distracted into it makes things worse. I have had a similar situation in my car, except in my car I can let the guy hit me and not worry about ending up under his wheels.