• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 12 volt Battery , weighs just 3 pounds .

LimeySteve

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just drove home , 25 minutes & all is well, battery cold to the touch inside the ammo box, no surprises , just the normal drive home , I'll keep an eye on the system & report any changes. I was so pleased to come up with the ammo box idea , I've had that one for about 5 years, it's so small I never thought I'd find a use for it.They are so cheap on ebay too :), but it almost doubles the weight of the battery ;)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I have been using a Miata battery in my E36 318ti with S52 motor with great results. Yes, it's more like 13 pounds and not 3 but it's lead acid, predictable, cheaper and a lot lighter than the 40 lb stock battery.

In my case, it was a space issue more than a weight problem. If I was chasing to lose 10 pounds, I can find a lot of places where I could do so, starting with my mid-section.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up on my Lithium battery experience, All seemed great , easy start , bright lights etc etc , no explosions or burnt down car, then this morning after sitting for about 10 days the battery was dead , 2.2 volts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for that reason I'm out , it was worth the try but for a daily driver or occasional driver , not yet in my opinion. If I had a dedicated race car & would disconnect it after each race etc then I'd be all over it , hopefully soon but not yet on my experience.

Luckily I kept my lead acid heavy weight in the trunk disconnected so recommision was easy & it still had 12 volts in it :)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell