• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard starting 2002

Stevenc22

So lately my 2002 has been having trouble starting. Once running, she goes fantastically.

Setup:

New redline weber 32/36 water choke

Timing set at 1500 with vacuum advanced on distributer blocked.

New plugs

New blue Bosch coil with no resistor

Hot Spark ignition system

Fresh gapped plugs

Original mechanical fuel pump

Rotor and cap new

Occasionally car will fire first time.

Most time car fires after about 10 seconds of cranking

occasionally car will need to be cranked for minutes with a jump box playing with gas pedal before she fires.

Funnily car seems to fire best when cold. Doesn't like to fire when warm from running but been sitting a little while.

I have just ordered a new 320i starter because perhaps the starter is a little sluggish although I haven't really had any problems with it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Steven

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

carb float level off?

Before you start the car, take off the air cleaner and pump the throttle a couple times to see if you have any squirt. Put the air cleaner back on and see if it starts.

If the float isn't allowing the needle to seat you may be siphoning off gas when it's not running and it will take cranking to refill the carb.

You may have something blocking your idle circuit.

Have a fire extinguisher handy any time you are working on a fuel supply issue.

Others are more familiar with weber tuning and will probably have better input. (or get the Weber book.)

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

carb float level off?

Before you start the car, take off the air cleaner and pump the throttle a couple times to see if you have any squirt. Put the air cleaner back on and see if it starts.

If the float isn't allowing the needle to seat you may be siphoning off gas when it's not running and it will take cranking to refill the carb.

You may have something blocking your idle circuit.

Have a fire extinguisher handy any time you are working on a fuel supply issue.

Others are more familiar with weber tuning and will probably have better input. (or get the Weber book.)

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

I have the identical situation with the exception of the hot ignition setup. Exact same symptoms. I was even thinking about going back to my old carb because never had trouble starting before. I've been thinking I don't have the new carb dialed in correctly but have been tinkering with it for weeks. Also have some concern about the choke being set properly because once the car is up to temp it runs fine. Have also set the valves and the timing with no effect on the starting.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

New 320i starter from Rogerstii made all the world of difference, even when the motor doesn't want to start, it doesn't have a choice when the start is kicking it so hard. Car fires up like it was a modern BMW, on first 1/4 of a crank.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.