• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Delete

oh2ryan

Ryan,

Why not just keep this very nice example original and drive as is? These straight and dry stock CA blue plate 02's are becoming more rare as years pass. Please contact me should you ever consider selling prior to mentioned modifications.

Best,

T.R.

'72 polaris tii touring

'72 inka 2002

'69 bristol 1600

Why not just keep this very nice example original and drive as is? These straight and dry stock CA blue plate 02's are becoming more rare as years pass.

+1

I wouldn't chop up an original owner california blue plate car...but it's your car. Hell, I'm putting a VW diesel in mine, although, my car is not as nice as yours.

good luck!

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

Why not just keep this very nice example original and drive as is? These straight and dry stock CA blue plate 02's are becoming more rare as years pass. Please contact me should you ever consider selling prior to mentioned modifications.

Best,

T.R.

'72 polaris tii touring

'72 inka 2002

'69 bristol 1600

I do hear this quite often. And dont get me wrong I love the car as is. My reasoning with this whole projct started from the limitations set by California with modifying my 1988 325iS. With the strict smog laws and motor swap rules I started to think about getting a pre-smog car to have a little more fun with. I wanted to stick with a BMW so I put up a WTB ad on CL hoping to find a 74 or 75 2002. In my ad I listed I was hoping to find a non-running car, maybe a poorer example of a 2002 so I could keep the cost down on the initial investment on a chassis (thinking that if I was buying this car with plans to swap out suspension, engine/ trans, interior, etc, why pay the premium for a 2002 thats in this stock, turn-key condition). Well after a few weeks of sorting through rusted out cars, or salvage title cars, I got a call about this 2002 and bought it once I arrived and saw the amazing condition the vehicle was in. Now this does put me in a hard spot, I paid for this car probably what some pay for a clean rolling chassis. So how I see it is that I have one of the best possible starting points for a project car, all original, no rust, etc. But I do see the opposite argument of not ruining one of the remaining all original, CA, clean titled cars. Its just hard for me to justify buying another 2002, probably in much worse condition, and start my project from there when this is already in the barn waiting for me. On one hand I don't want to disrespect the car and the community by "destroying" an original car, but now that I have seen the other options out there for where I could begin a project, Im torn on what to do.

I will contact you if anything should change. Being 25 and not by any means settled down (still with 2 years of school since I graduated with my BA a few years back) makes it hard to have 2 cars, especially like the 2002

+1

I wouldn't chop up an original owner california blue plate car...but it's your car. Hell, I'm putting a VW diesel in mine, although, my car is not as nice as yours.

good luck!

Again, I hear this by everyone who Ive spoken to about this car. I did get it running after it's 19 year slumber too. Its in the barn, insured, and will remain there for the next 18 months until I have time for it, whether thats keeping it stock, modifying it, or possibly selling it, gives me time to think about the next move. I look at it in the same way I do my e30, theyre both cars I plan on never selling. From that standpoint, Im more inclined to personalize them, and customize them to me. 

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...