• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure not registering -- SOLVED

dtharp113

Installed the new distributor flange w/ new gasket and a bit of RTV Gasket sealant yesterday. Everything was buttoned up snug, topped off the oil and re-connected the VDO oil pressure sender.

Car fired up like a champ and no oil leaks but the pressure isn't registering on the gauge. I've removed the oil pressure sender, leaving a gaping hole in the distributor flange, and started the car. No oil coming up thru.

I've also treaded heavy gauge wire into the distributor flange (where the oil sender would mount) and it seems that there's no obstruction. Really hate to remove the flange just to confirm it's not obstructed.

Any thoughts or comments? What am I not seeing/thinking of?

thanks

D

Situation resolved. I drained and refilled the oil as well as filled the oil filter before installing. Disconnected the distributor and cranked the engine for several cycles. Once I re-connected the distributor and fired her up, the oil pressure needle hung at 0 for a moment, then shot to 60! Everything appears tight (no noticeable leaks or oil smells).

Thanks to all for your input and comments. They were a huge help!

D

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

Are you using the double post VDO sender? If so make sure you have not reversed the wires for the idiot light and the gauge. One post is a switch for the light the other a sender for the gauge.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I am using the double post VDO sender but I marked the post prior to disassembly.

Shouldn't I have oil enthusiastically coming up through the hole if there is no oil pressure switch/ sender in place?

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

so lets THINK :

pics82008010.jpg

original pre-housing failure you had oil gushing

out of there - yes?

now no gushing out of the low-oil-pressure

switch hole?

where does the oil come from?

and it's at 20 - 120 psi ! yes?

what clogged up the path in the last 48 hours ? ? ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Yeah. No idea. Ran a coat hanger sized wire down the port and in towards the block. Didn't feel any obstruction. Can I pop the valve cover and access it that way?

May need to bite the bullet and order a new gasket, rip the flange off and do some exploratory surgery

- Thomas Jefferson

A puzzle. What changed?

The only thing that changed is the distributor flange.

I got under the hood today, removed the distributor flange and ensured there was nothing obstructing the opening where the oil pressure switch is fed. I next ran a heavy gauge wire into the opening in the engine block (where it lines up with the pressure switch). Wire fed with little trouble and when I retrieved it, the wire was coated with oil.

Buttoned everything back up, started the car and still no oil to the switch (I left it open to see if oil would pump out).

So I'm stumped as to where I should be looking next. I feel like I can rule out:

1. Pressure sender

2. Blockage in the distributor flange

Anyone want to throw out some other places I should be looking? I feel like my other option is to take her somewhere and have a shop go into the engine itself (don't really have the cash for that right now).

Suggestions/thoughts/ ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

- Thomas Jefferson

I'll check the filter tomorrow. I did pull the valve cover - didn't see much in the way of any spray from the oil bar (cover looked clean).

- Thomas Jefferson