• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble telling 1st and 3rd apart on Getrag 245...

KFunk

Is it just me, or has anyone else had this problem? I couldn't figure out how to search for this properly...

When I'm at a stop, and I try to go to first naturally, then quite often I accidentally get 3rd instead. Of course I try to take off, and make loud engine sounds, and go nowhere. Then I actually put it into first.

I keep forgetting to pull the shifter a little farther to the left than I naturally do. Downshifts from 4th to 3rd, and upshifts from 2nd to third are just fine. It's just trying to get to first that throws me.

Maybe I'm just so used to the stock 4-speed by now, and it's just going to take a while to get used to this 5-speed. Only driven around 800 miles with the 5-speed so far.

I did switch from having the straight style stock 4-speed linkage, to the one with the couple joints and cross bar in it (new joints from BLUNT), so maybe that is complicating things.

Otherwise, the 5-speed is great. Even on my curvy backroad commute to work, I use 5th most of the time.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Even on the garage floor, the natural position of my 245 was 3rd/4th. 1st/2nd isn't a pull as much as a slight tension to the left. Seemed ergonomically strange the first drive. Never really noticed it again.

Even on the garage floor, the natural position of my 245 was 3rd/4th. 1st/2nd isn't a pull as much as a slight tension to the left. Seemed ergonomically strange the first drive. Never really noticed it again.

Yeah, slight tension to the left would be how I'd describe it. I'm not sure why I'm not adapting as well. Everything is tight, and All the gears are there. I just keep messing it up somehow....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

If it's not the linkage, did you happen to replace the rear output seal and get the bolts for the plate mixed up? One bolt is shorter then the rest and needs to be in the upper right hole.

Steve T

71 2002 - Sold  :( 
63 A/H Sprite
73 MG Midget

hmmmm. I think I did replace the rear seal, but it was last winter sometime, and I can't even remember the details. I don't remember removing a plate, just thought I removed the giant nut with special socket. I'll have to take a look and see if I can refresh my memory.

Bring a Welder