• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEWARE OF EBAY SCAMMER

korvettel46

Hey everybody:

I didn't make 1 thing clear..the car was legit and the seller has a 100% rating on ebay.

The scammer started emailing me and it came theu with the ebay stamp of approval.

I thought you all might want to hear this, as well as read the email from the scammer.

I was almost scamed on ebay regarding an 02 purchase 2 weeks ago. I believe I was targeted because I was a first time bidder (unfamiliar with the true ebay way). I was the third highest bidder. The next day I received a second chance offer, which I thought was a legit ebay offer. After accepting I receive the email below explaining who and what Mike does....BEWARE of "MIKE WEBBER".

Fast forward; Went to Webster Bank to wire the $$. The head teller alerted me to the fact that she believed the bank receiving my transfer isn't the normal Ebay Bank. Of course I assured her she is mistaken and this is on the up and up. 1/2 thru the wire transaction I decided to hold off and check it out. Long stroy short, "SCAM".

Here is the email I received gatting the ball rolling;

engine@engineer-mx.com

Thank you for the reply. According with eBay you can buy my car for your last bid: $6,050.00. The "winner" on eBay, after speaking on the phone waiting for him all day long comes up and wants a straight swap. If that wasn't enough the bugger almost made me lose my flight. Must tell you i'm in Europe with business for the next 6 weeks but this is not a problem because i have the car in a shipping company custody and they will take care of delivery (i offer free shipping within 800 miles area). However, before any delivery can be done I want to be sure that we do this transaction in the safest mode possible for both of us using eBay because they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability during online transactions. Needless to remind you that I am a professional seller with exquisite 100% positive feedback, so I offer and expect 100% seriousness (take a look over my feedback on eBay). Using eBay you will get 3 days to inspect the car (after it's delivered) before paying me and I'll be sure that I have a genuine buyer with funds ready who won't mess me around. You'll get the chance to inspect the vehicle, test it and everything you like while your money are safely held in eBay's account. ONLY after you confirm with eBay that you agree to keep the car, they'll release the money to me. In case you don't like it you get a full refund. If you have the funds ready email me back to confirm and i will register the transaction with eBay. Once the transaction is registered, eBay will contact you with ALL the info regarding shipping, purchase protection, and refund policy (no obligation to buy and no fees involved if you won't accept the transaction's terms). Regards, MIKE WEBBER Structural Engineer Employee Of Automotive Management Resources Inc. Department Of Automotive Managers and Personnel Trailer

I'm sorry, I am old and cynical, but what part of that ridiculous e-mail sounded legit???

Thank you, nonetheless, for alerting this community.

Good luck with your car shopping,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hey Steve,

I read it the same way today.. but at the time it was a "Breath of Fresh Air". I get the car the car I wanted. WOW! Again, not being versed in bidding, etc. etc. I'll never bid again...until next time. LOL

Understood. Thanks for being very open about your experience!

Next time, you'll know.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yikes! I've never heard (though I could be wrong) of anyone on eBay delivering a car to a buyer without receiving payment. That unto itself should have raised a massive flag.

My hope is that you sent this amazing lady flowers, or at least a note to her boss. It's not her job to keep you out of trouble. You're very lucky that she happened to be your teller that day.

Consider yourself fortunate. You dodged quite a bullet!

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

As with a lot of these scams the type of language /explanation that is used is sort of ,not quite the way we would write it up. The "away in Europe" and car being held by 3 rd party , yeah right .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I really dont know who sucks worse, ebay, paypal or scam sellers, find a car locally, patience grasshopper it will happen, and even if you have to drive 500 miles to personaly inspect you will be dollars ahead of falling into the sight unseen buying experience........................plrase please dont ask how I know.......................allright 3 year old pics of car of when ebay seller bought it and car already running at 6 am when I arrived after a 500 hundred mile trip to inspect.......................... whay a guy will do for a round arse

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I really dont know who sucks worse, ebay, paypal or scam sellers, find a car locally, patience grasshopper it will happen, and even if you have to drive 500 miles to personaly inspect you will be dollars ahead of falling into the sight unseen buying experience........................plrase please dont ask how I know.......................allright 3 year old pics of car of when ebay seller bought it and car already running at 6 am when I arrived after a 500 hundred mile trip to inspect.......................... what a guy will do for a round arse

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way