• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 BMW 2002 tii, Inka Orange, 5 speed, Recaros - $8500

Robertrob85

A number of obvious "issues" that can be seen even from the poor quality pics, if it is a '72 and the poor paint job isn't covering up bad metal (and if it the "yellow" was actually "Golf") probably some value in the car. You can see a number of bits with Inka paint on them (that shouldn't). A golf colored '72 would be a nice one to have.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Just as a reminder for people outside of CA, a 6Txx-000 license plate would be a plate issued within the past 5-6 months, so it is possible this is not a long-term CA car, but a car brought in from elsewhere, where corrosion is more common. Check with the owner ...

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

.....And just because a car is a "California Car" doesn't give it the rust exemption. Cars that live or have lived near the beach can be as big a rust buckets as cars that have come from the East. Has a good friend that lived on Balboa Island in OC, watched her vn 75 02 turn into a rust bucket in just a matter of years (non garaged of course).....That said, 99% of the California cars are still going to be substantially better than those coming from the rust belt.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I'm new to this forum and vintage BMWs. I'm looking to buy my first one for daily driving. I'm interested in this particular car, has anyone here seen it in person? I'm curious to know about the true value of the car being that it's a tii but has been modified (paint, trans). I'm not a purist, so the bad paint job and swapped trans are not a deal killer for me, just wondering how it hurts value. I wouldn't mind painting myself to original specs.

Thank you.

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

A 1972 tii is always worth consideration. Golf, if that was its original color, is particularly coveted currently. I would ignore any California provenance: evidence of a rear shock tower repair suggests such provenance, if it is claimed, has no actual value.

And, it is the combination of rear shock tower repairs and an obviously low-end paint job that would most concern me. A cheap paint job can effectively, if briefly, conceal a lot of rust damage. And I consider rusted out rear shock towers as an indicator that a car has had rust elsewhere.

So...if you can't poke an awl through the rocker panels, the front boxed frame extensions, the bases of the A pillars, or the floors, this might be a good starting point for somewhere close to its asking price. But if the paint is hiding serious rust, I don't know if it's any more than a charity case or a parts car.

Remember: rust is your enemy!

Good luck with your search,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)