• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sill Plate seal installation

Dicks

I recently purchased a new rubber seal that goes on the dirvers side sill plate -- between the silll plate and the door -- to replace one that was pretty trashed. I can not for the life of me get the new one to install and stay.

The gasket/seal is held by two very thin sections that slide or insert into a channel in the sill plate. I can get them in, but as soon as I set down the sill plate they just fall out?

Does anyone have any suggestions for installing this piece successfully?

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

Dicks. That is another irritating piece to install. I had to wrestle mine in and it took me a long time.

I think I ended up putting one side in and working the other side in with a wide screwdriver. Be careful not to punch through the rubber.

I tried all the lubricants I had to get that rascal to slide in.

Good luck.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I just did mine a couple weeks ago. The clips holding the rubber in place were super rusted, so I soaked them in rust converter after a quick wire wheel. While they soaked I made sure to clean out the channels the rubber slides into. To the point of using a tooth brush. One side slid right in the no problem. The other required patience and some Sill Glyde. Installing it could be equated to trying to pull a sticker off nice and slow to keep it in one piece and not leave behind residue, but in reverse.

Ryan