• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mounting clips for rear 2002 badge

bnam

Just went thru this also. I wound up using M6(i think) nylock nuts; the nylon portion fits really snug when press fit, and no way they're falling off. Also put washers in there. As for the 2002 emblem, i used those little 'star' fasteners commonly(ha)found holding the little seat shocks in place on e30,28,24,etc. seats.

Had to get creative!

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Could not find these on the parts diagram. Any sugestions. Search was not helpful (perhaps better terms than "badge mounting clip"?). Found out the badge on my car was held with permatex.

Byas

I have some that I will send you for free. Please use the email button above.

Ben

Ben in Denver

2000 Touring INKA 3357390

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Bill, I need ONE of those "badge retaining grommets" for my 2002tii badge.  They are flat, about 12mm diameter, 2mm thickness.  I haven't seen them anywhere...until now.   I lost one of my originals many years ago.

What is the part#? Not sure how to read the package. 

51 14 5 480 178

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

51 14 5 480 178

Part Number    51145480178 appears to still be available.
Part Name    NUT (AKA grommet)
MSRP    $8.41
Online Price from getbmwparts.com, etc.    $6.73

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Vintage VWs used the same rubber push on piece and they are cheaper.

$7 each seems a bit expensive.

Okay, a little searching brought these up, at a buck a piece 

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/retaining-clips-set-volkswagen-decklid-script-4mm_380657 

Okay, a little measuring says they probably won't work.

The VW pins are .156" and the 2002 pins are .126"

014.JPG

...I tried.

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

Part Number    51145480178 appears to still be available.
Part Name    NUT (AKA grommet)
MSRP    $8.41
Online Price from getbmwparts.com, etc.    $6.73

Thanks guys,  Definitely adding one of those to my next purchase(s).  Probably be 10 bucks CDN$.  BMW Canada is especially greedy.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them on. The Touring has a double (inner) skin between the taillights. I can get the Touring badge secured as the nubs sit in the openings, but the 2002 badge is all behind the inner skin. I'm not sure a 5 year old's fingers can get the grommets on. Currently the 2002 badge is just pushed through the holes.......I'll fix it later!

DSCN2541crsm.JPGDSCN2520crsm.JPG

Les

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

I can get the Touring badge secured as the nubs sit in the openings, but the 2002 badge is all behind the inner skin. I'm not sure a 5 year old's fingers can get the grommets on. Currently the 2002 badge is just pushed through the holes.......I'll fix it later!

DSCN2520crsm.JPG

Another reason to avoid those lift-back things!! (I kid...)  I've always just twisted the grommet onto the badge studs while applying a forward push - the grommet cuts into the mounting studs & is held in place by friction.   Looks like some long-handled locking pliers might be required for the touring.  Or some 3M emblem/trim tape.

http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/attachment-tapes

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

On 2/2/2017 at 1:56 PM, 02Les said:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them on. The Touring has a double (inner) skin between the taillights. I can get the Touring badge secured as the nubs sit in the openings, but the 2002 badge is all behind the inner skin. I'm not sure a 5 year old's fingers can get the grommets on. Currently the 2002 badge is just pushed through the holes.......I'll fix it later!

DSCN2541crsm.JPGDSCN2520crsm.JPG

Les- sorry but I have to ask, how did you remove it prior to paint?  Sad to say, we haven't seen Bill Williams post here for a while.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 hours ago, jgerock said:

Les- sorry but I have to ask, how did you remove it prior to paint?  Sad to say, we haven't seen Bill Williams post here for a while.

Jim, I pried it off from the outside, but, to be honest, is was barely being held.

I guess I had problems putting it back on in the '80s after the first refurb. I was lucky it didn't just fall off over the years.

1987-1988 West Moors sm.jpg

Les

FAQ Member #17