• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need New Battery. What to get?

jrhone

I searched te FAQ and didn't quickly come up with anything so I'm asking. What kind of battery should I get? I have a napa group 47 battery in the car now that was in the car when I got it 4 years ago. So no clue as to its age. Car doesn't seem to hold much of a reserve charge. It turns over but this morning was really slow. I replaced the cables and they are tight. Have a e21 alternator. All seems to be ok. I think it's just an old battery. Looking at the group 47s for pep boys thy seem to be like 530 CCA. Is that low?? I know it a small engine and should turn good. Oh and I have a newer 5 series starter. Maybe I need a battery that's a bit beefier to turn the starter better? I plan at some time to put the battery in the trunk. Should I look for a sealed battery?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

how long do you want it to last ?

how long did your current battery last ?

more.........

bmw / DOUGLAS no. 10046-063W

61.21.7.567.181 50AH

$145 list as of 3/29/2013

last I heard - mine was 10 years old and still ticking .

02rearbatTopEnd.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

jrhone,

just bought a new battery on saturday. size GR42 fits as well if fitment is an issue. GR42 is about 1/2 lower (battery terminals). as for kind of battery, i'll leave it up to more knowledgable folks.

Group sizes 42 and 26r are the two most common for engine compartment batteries. I bought a group size 26r from Advance Auto for my NK 1969 2000 back around 2003 and still going strong when I sold he car in 2010, although I did remove the battery late November/early December for winter garage storage; kept the battery in my basement on a wood shelf., no charging needed at first start up come spring.

Tim

Group sizes 42 and 26r are the two most common for engine compartment batteries. I bought a group size 26r from Advance Auto for my NK 1969 2000 back around 2003 and still going strong when I sold he car in 2010, although I did remove the battery late November/early December for winter garage storage; kept the battery in my basement on a wood shelf., no charging needed at first start up come spring.

Tim

Thx guys. I bought an Optima group 34R red top. It's identical in length and width and about an inch shorter. It's git double the power of the group 47 I'm replacing and it's sealed so I can put it in the trunk without issues. Oh and the R means the terminals are reversed so the positive and negative teinals are on the same sides as the group 47. Autozone had it in stock for only $30 more than their store brand high end battery. Gonna drop it in today.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Here is the battery I got. The fit was VERY tight but worked. What I like is double cranking power of the old battery. Plus the terminals are closer to the center of the battery so the positive terminal isn't close to the body.

Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%203%2018%2042%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%203%2005%2037%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%203%2005%2031%20PM.jpg

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Walmart or Costco are reasonably priced and good warranty. Costco is supposed to be good quality, but some models lack feet on the sides/ends. Optima available at both places last I looked, but an expensive way to go. I'd focus on getting one that fits in the tray, with clearance for the hold down rods and terminals on the right side. Bigger the better. Use a battery tender over the winter.

Walmart or Costco are reasonably priced and good warranty. Costco is supposed to be good quality, but some models lack feet on the sides/ends. Optima available at both places last I looked, but an expensive way to go. I'd focus on getting one that fits in the tray, with clearance for the hold down rods and terminals on the right side. Bigger the better. Use a battery tender over the winter.

Winter? Im in Newport Beach...no winters here...lol

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Winter? Im in Newport Beach...no winters here...lol

Then 4 or 5 D cells and some duct tape outa work for you and they should fit the tray. Some bungie will hold them down!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.