• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Tii Emission Sticker

JAS

Thanks everyone Give me a couple of days and I will let you know what my printer says about making some up and the cost. 

Will keep everyone posted.

Cheers

John

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gotta love this. My printer just emailed me his mock-up. He found a font called "DIN Mittelschrift Regular".

Image attached - old is on top and his mock up on bottom.

Next question, gloss or matte finish - I think matte is the way to go. Edit: Checked my stash of replacement stickers already purchased and they have a glossy finish.

Cost - probably $5 each plus shipping.

Opinions?

JS-BMW-emission-decal.pdf

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii

Quite similar.  It must not be exactly this font -- note the difference in the letter "T" -- the length of the top line is different.  The spacing between the letters of a word (kerning) needs to be  widened just a bit.  Also, the first 2 colons should be semi colons - and note the size differences of the colon and semi-colon.

i'm in at that price.

Byas

It looks like 121.3 on the original and 1213 on the repro.

Byas - not sure if you just want the sticker or going for a perfect resto. If going for the perfect thing, ensure those stickers were on those parts from the BMW factory. I got dinged for a sticker on my starter that was not there from BMW and a front license plate sticker on a Euro plate that was not there in 1972.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks for proof edit.

I agree the font isn't 100% exact - the letters on the original have rounded ends where the new font has squared off ends. But it's pretty close.

Changes:

Use ; instead of : like after 2002 ti; and F.I;

121.3 instead of 1213

Byas - this is probably the first sticker from a BMW he has ever reproduced.

Think I will also ask him for a reproduction of the tire pressure sticker that went immediately above the emissions sticker. Don't have the correct repo version in my set.

No opinions on whether it should be glossy or matte?

John

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii

The Bosch sticker is to replace a damaged sticker on mine.  But, Red coils were not factory issue.

While I am partial towards being original -- I'm not going for out the showroom look -- at least on this car.  But, I'd like reproductions of factory items to be as true as possible.

Byas

I can't tell from the stickers on my car as to whether they were glossy or not.  I hope someone else will address.

JAS - the punctuation font is off quite a bit.  Look at the " as an example.  Can you printer choose another font for punctuation that is closer?

Byas

Roger's tii has the '73 version on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200427303785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I notice, Jim, that your '72 stickers were done on the self-destructive, perforated stock I've seen on '70-'71 EPA stickers. Someone here -- Mike! Les! -- will know when the use of that stock began and ended!

Regards,

Steve

From pics that I have, the white stickers started late '70 up into '73.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Here is the first print run for the 1974 tii emissions sticker.  Jason, my printer guy, did not have an exact font but it is really close in my opinion, especially given the size of the sticker 64mm x 117mm makes it difficult to see the differences. The finish has a light gloss and like the original it has thin white border.

I have Jason working on a replica of the tire pressure sticker that went just above the emissions sticker (see pic of the old one) . Didn't see that one in my stash of stickers purchased a while back.

John 

post-36069-0-75779900-1368282319_thumb.j

post-36069-0-09607900-1368282479_thumb.j

1974 Verona 2002 tii

Thanks for taking this on and congrats to finding a printer who will do this.

I'd love to have replacement stickers for both my cars.  Are you up to trying to set this up?

My tire pressure sticker would look really bad next to a new emissions sticker.

tirepressure.jpg

The top sticker in this picture is the tire pressure one I got from Carl Nelson.

stickers2.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

That is the same tire pressure sticker I have in the stash I have from the PO. It doesn't match what was on the car and the quality isn't where I would like it to be. Will have something to share next week.

My printer guy is very agreeable and quite likes replicating old things. Sounds familiar, no?

This might be a good project for next winter but right now I want to focus on getting my car together so I can enjoy our short summer driving season. 

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii

Update - haven't forgot about people, I'm just waiting on my printer to provide a mock up of the tire pressure sticker.

Will keep you posted.

1974 Verona 2002 tii

Hi Guys - my printer is back with a reproduction of the tire pressure sticker (pic attached). It is really close imo. Needs the "c" in the lower right centred, but given he isn't charging me anywhere near his time spent, I think it's pretty much good to go.

Anything missed or incorrect?

post-36069-0-94984200-1368808598_thumb.j

Edited by JAS

1974 Verona 2002 tii