• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual 40Webbers The (Close To)Final Dial-In

ndog

i have tested my car with the redline instructions as far as idle speed screw 1/4 to 1/2 open,idle mixture screw 1 turn out from lightseating, I can get the car dialed in from thier,,,,, adjusting only the lead barrel on each carb,then adjusting the 2nd barrel after. my jets are 125mains,55f8 idle on a korman 300 cam....................... buuuutttt why is my a/f ratio 13.5 ish  at idle and at wot its not going down it stays @ 13.........(not even close to 12 or 11.5)

sorry if this is a encrypted question I speak better than type.

thanks all

emo tube is f16

chokes 33

pumpjet 40

bleed 55

aux vent 4.5

Edited by ndog

An AFR of 13:1 is close to ideal for WOT, probably better than 12 or 11.5 for a naturally aspirated engine. How do your plugs look? As always AFR numbers are guidelines and plugs and performance are the best measuring sticks.

Rob

1971 Corvette, BBC to LS1 swap under way
1991 Camaro, ProCharged 355
1969 Corvette Greenwood/IMSA project
1974 BMW 2002, barn find, M42 on a stand, turbo header in a box

You don't mention your air correctors.

If you want it to go (a little bit) richer as revs rise (over 4500, probably)

go down a size on the main air correctors.

13:1 is great, if you're paying a little bit of attention to it occasionally.

If you want a safety margin, you can drop to 12.5:1 at WOT at 6000 and 

it won't kill power enough to be noticable.  It will hurt your lap times slightly.

But I agree- this seems just about freakin' perfect for power.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Nate , what you have is the recipe from the Weber book with a slightly larger main (the book has 120 mains ) now the fuel we get has ethenol in it which is shit to burn so the jetting will need to be different , I suspect the book was written when we had proper gasoline. You could try the next size up main & see if that yields a fatter number at WOT, then get the idle down to 14-15 on your o2 sensor , jobs a good one. Also have you balanced them at idle ?, that is critical .

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

thanks all,sounds like Iam close I will verify with the plugs and check the orings on the covers are okay..steve, i tried the hose in the barrel/venturi  trick However my ears are slightly shot from surfing...

I placed the gauge on the dash and Iam obsessed with watching it TOO much maybee.... :blink:

Edited by ndog

I did the same thing , obsessed with the gauge , once I was set with my numbers it only gets an occasional  glance now.Bring it to my shop Saturday & I can put my gauge on it & set the balance if you like .

Edited by LimeySteve

1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

I'm glad I could confirm your dial in & balance, give some tips & have a nice chat , also it sounds like your trip home was a blast ,nice to see what MPG you get , remember I'm running 45's so with those nice 40's you should see some good numbers , even if the loud pedal gets a pounding.