• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Is The Best Solution For Some More Clearance On Front Wheels?

Mainly because of that I don't like rubbing either. I don't think you need to go to coilovers because you have very little issue. Fixed camber plates may well be enough. If not then skim just a bit off the wheels. Unless you want coilovers :)

Tommy

...Plus, it's just not good.

I think I'm going to get some coil overs.  The fenders are rolled already.  I don't want to "pull" them or put flares on.

Thanks again guys!

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Thanks guys.  I honestly don't know what the offset of the rims are...  

I do know that under aggressive driving, I'm rubbing on the tire 195/50/15 which has a width of 7.2 and an O.D. of 22.8.   I also know that there is MAYBE a 3/8" gap between the tire and the strut.  So am I wrong in thinking that the offset isn't going to do a whole bunch?  The hubs on these have tons of meat so I'm thinking is would be safe to mill .250" off the hub to get it closer to the strut and further away from the fender.  

tjones, there is a pretty big discrepancy in sizes between those two tires

205/60r13 width is 6.9" and OD is 22.7

205/50r15 width is 7.9 and OD is 23

As far as just accepting the rub, nope, not gonna do it, lol.  Rubbing is BAD IMO...

The offset should be cas in near the bolt circle a long with the size. If it isn't there then it may also be found on the back side of one of the center.

The diameter isn't your problem, nor it the width of the tires. It is the offset of your wheels. As others here have said, there may not be enough metal on the bolt circle of your wheels to safely remove enough to change the offset to what you need. There are others here that have successfully changed the offset of their BBSs to the desired offset by changing rim halves. That was my main point....

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Tjones,

Tell me if I'm wrong.  If I'm rubbing on the fender and I have a 3/8" gap between the back side of the rim and the strut, I have less that 3/8" to deal with the offset, weather I get different rims or cut these down.  By looking at it, there appears to be LOTS of meat to nibble down on the hub.  Lots.  Thanks for the info of where to find the offset, I'll check and report back sometime this weekend. 

Cheers

Thanks guys.  I honestly don't know what the offset of the rims are...  

I do know that under aggressive driving, I'm rubbing on the tire 195/50/15 which has a width of 7.2 and an O.D. of 22.8.   I also know that there is MAYBE a 3/8" gap between the tire and the strut.  So am I wrong in thinking that the offset isn't going to do a whole bunch?  The hubs on these have tons of meat so I'm thinking is would be safe to mill .250" off the hub to get it closer to the strut and further away from the fender.  

tjones, there is a pretty big discrepancy in sizes between those two tires

yes, you are wrong in that assumption.  it is all about offset.  what you are proposing is in fact a change to the offset of the wheel.  somewhere on wheel you should find lettering that says "ETxx" where the "xx" is a number.  that is the offset.  if the number is less than 25, you have found the main reason you tires are rubbing.  you have the wrong wheels for the car.  25-30 is the right range.  and you need to pull the fenders more and increase camber to hopefully around 2 deg negative. 

2xM3

can anyone decipher this info and tell me the offset?

IMG_1FF96137-6396-4A2F-AB31-BECF8F90AEEE

here is a link to a much larger image: http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IMG_1FF96137-6396-4A2F-AB31-BECF8F90AEEE_orig.jpg

top left of wheel center.  says et25.  that is an et many people use with that size tire with no issues.  see my original post in this thread.

stiffer springs

stiffer sway bars

more camber

and pull the fenders more.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

can anyone decipher this info and tell me the offset?

IMG_1FF96137-6396-4A2F-AB31-BECF8F90AEEE

here is a link to a much larger image: http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IMG_1FF96137-6396-4A2F-AB31-BECF8F90AEEE_orig.jpg

ET25! If you go to the much larger image you'll see it. It's on the inner circle of data, between the wheel size, 7x15H2, and the KBA number.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

take another snap - turn the wheel 180* despite

all those numbers i dont see the " ET__"   number

maybe if you turn the wheel we can see it ????

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I'm going to go with some adjustable coil overs from IE.  I already have the camber plates but they aren't enough.  

Cool bike!  It's a two stroke, it's not a DT, a TS?

Yup, TS185. Awesome bike! It's been beat up pretty good over the years  :lol:

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

take another snap - turn the wheel 180* despite

all those numbers i dont see the " ET__"   number

maybe if you turn the wheel we can see it ????

ET25 is visible in the picture in the link when you blow it up.

2xM3

Well yes - as said you have "correct" offset but it is not optimal. You can mill some but look carefully how much meat there is around bolt holes. I'm afraid 1/4" inch (=6.4mm) is too much to take off, but even couple of mm's makes a difference. I consider ET27 optimal. It still allows 205 tire and maximizes fender clearance.

I totally missed earlier that you said you already have camber plates. Normally you shouldn't have this issue with that combination. I'm wondering is there any way to install them wrong way....??. I wouldn't think that first but it's hard to figure out anything that would make sense.

Tommy 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

15x7 with 25et should be fine. I had the same with 195/45 on a lowered 02 and still needed a 2mm spacer. I've had 10mm spacers on before too and still did not rub the front fenders. Have your wheels ever been refinished? Looking at your first 2 pics, the lips look wider to me. Maybe you have 15x7.5? Which would put it at 19et.

Edited by RayC911

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig