• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Newbie Here!

evanb

LIGHTS! That hadnt even crossed my mind. I checked when i bought it to make sure everything worked, but how well wasnt something i was looking for. Thats a great insight, thank you.

Thanks projekt for that rundown, sounds like your making quick work of it! Thats exciting, I cant wait to get to that stage.

Again, thanks for every response, you guy ARE way cooler than any other boards ive been to. I look forward to implementing all of the advice given, and getting much more advice!

now, time to drive my baby around a bit :)

I did what mlytle (Marshall) did, and I concur with his recommendation.  Option 1 is the way to go.  Keep in mind that most of the fun of driving a 2002 is the visceral sensation of speed, and the connection with the car.  If you make the car super trackworthy, it will be a very harsh, loud ride--one that will hurt your ears, jar your teeth, and exhaust you rather quickly.  The extra vibration that gets carried through urethane bushings, the jarring that come froms stiffer springs and shocks, the noise that comes from an upgraded motor and wider exhaust; all will wear you down, making hour-long drives seem like half-day marathons.  The car will handle better, but you won't want to be in it for very long, nor will your passengers.  And stuff will tend to break more frequently.

Keep it stock for as long as you can.  You'll really enjoy your ownership experience, and anyone getting in your 2002 will appreciate it as well.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

All very good advice ^^.  Your Agave Roundie looks like a very nice car (I'm a fan of the green shades).

Spin/replace the fuses, loosen, clean and then tighten the brown ground wire terminal points (especially for the lights and alternator) and closely inspect the battery cables.

My favorite thing to do when buying any vehicle is to clean it top to bottom - including the nasty underside that so many folks ignore.  Take the rear lights apart and clean inside and outside the lenses using plastic polish.  Add a 3rd brake light for better visibility - most folks (including me) tend to look for that high mounted lamp first (CHMSL for 1986 cars for the newbies = Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp). 

Please start a blog so we can cheer you on and keep track of what you're doing to the car.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

many years ago in the BMW CCA, out came a list titled "101 things to do to your 2002" which addressed all the "little things" that with time and general entropy will loosen, wear, or have been superceded by commonly available better parts.  Look up that list and use it as a checklist.

Don't replace anything that works.  The 2002 is old but still a useful and competent machine in many aspects.  Obviously, as stated above, safety must come first.

I just got a '76 that was sitting for three years in storage.  It was filthy to boot.  I got it home on a loaner battery and by pouring some gas down the carb throat, so it was working when I got it home.  THEN, I spent a day and a half cleaning most of it, and made a list of "little things" that is now two dozen items long.  Many of those are simple things that I can check or adjust in a few minutes, some take longer, a few require spending some coin.  I'll address them as I go along over the next few weeks, but the point through all of this is that I have a safe driveable car.  It's my fifteenth 2002, so I'm not new to this at all.

You made no comment as to your mechanical competency, nor your tools.  One thing that will be quite useful is a knowledgeable but reasonable enthusiast who can be your backup physically and mentally.  Sorry, I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii, but you can get a lot of good opinion here online.  It's a little slower than actually having a big brother standing there with you, but the variety of observations is useful.

LEARN and USE the SEARCH function on this forum and it may save you from asking some quite innocent questions.