• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Believe

mikesmith

Looks like some spot-welds on the inside and maybe quite a bit of filler around the top; I didn't want to pull the headliner all the way out, just work out why it was so saggy. Now I know, perhaps.

The bit that has me scratching my head is that BMW tell me the VIN was Inka, and that doesn't look like Inka to me.

Edited by mikesmith

All too common with collector cars but why go to all the bother with an 02?  Market value is just not there - but then again there is no explanation for a lot of what I have discovered in restoring old cars over the years - rust patched with fiberglass, rusted panels with patch panels on top of the rust (left there?), the restamped block in the 427 Vette, etc.

The VIN stamped on the fender *looks* OK, and the hivemind believes that the ad that Les mentions above cited the same VIN that I see on the car now, so if there was a swap it may well have predated my PO.

Yes, it has a so-so inka paintjob (as far as I can tell, sprayed while the car was mostly together) now; looks great in photos or if you're not up close, but definitely not a bare-metal deal.

Hey MikeSmith.

Looks like you purchased your car from the same guy (i won't mention names) as I did two years ago based on the garage picture you provided.

Let me tell you, I've spent the last two years fixing some of the "restoration" this individual decided to do.

For EX of what he did was:

Installing a black carpetover the original beige carpet that was water soaked.

Or

Cutting the rear quarter panels to fit turbo flares but leaving pie cuts large enough for me to fit my hand through.

How long have you own the car? I fear you might find more of these "restorations".

Cris, you would be correct (that was actually why I chose that picture). I'm pondering the merits of posting a few choice images I have here to various forum threads in the hope of saving the next buyer the same experience.

I hope that I'm nearly out of new discoveries for a while; I can see sunlight through a couple of small holes around the wheel arch in the trunk, but nothing that severe. What passes for "carpet" in my case lacks backing; it's more like toy fur.

Larry; I totally agree. If someone had written up their experience with another of this sellers' cars previously, I would most certainly not have bought this one.

OTOH, I am leery of going off half-cocked. So I'm asking questions and taking things apart and making reasonably sure I understand what's going on first. I've also asked the seller to comment on what I've found, though based on their silence post-delivery I'm not expecting anything there.

Edited by mikesmith

Andrew; I was waiting for someone to ask that. The lesson I'm taking away here is regardless of what you think of a seller's reputation, don't trust their choice of workshop.

(To be clear - I understand that finding surprises like this was one of the risks I took buying a car I'd never seen in person, and that I made a serious mistake in trusting the seller to deal in good faith.)