• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick To Pulling Steering Wheel Loosening Nut?

chume

Cant seem to get nut on steering wheel off so can troubleshoot my turn indicators.  Hasnt been off for a long time.  Tried PB Blaster etc.  Just wanted to make sure not reverse threaded or something else I had forgotten?  Any tricks aside from long cheater bar, not too excited about pounding on steering column.....

thanks

cliff
Seattle, WA

'72 BMW 2002 Tii Golf, '67 Austin Mini Cooper "S", '67 Morris Mini 1/4 T van, '12 MINI Countryman All4

'81 BMW R80 G/S, '67 Triumph Bonneville

Not reverse threaded, just tight. I usually use an impact gun on them.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Mine is standard thread. It was a little tough the first time I removed it. I loctite and torque hard when reinstalling.

Ok, I have to ask why loctite and hard torque?

It's supposed to have a wave washer under the nut.

Am I missing something, as I just do a regular tightening on mine?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

People often over torque these. Mine came off without much difficulty... I put it to full left lock so that wrenching on it will have it against the steering limits. Lean your weight into it a bit and it should loosen up no problem. Once the nut is loose but not fully removed you can pull on the wheel to loosen it from the splines. The nut keeps the wheel from smacking you in the face :)

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

this.

light use of impact gun makes this easy to get on and off. do not use locktite or overtightening here. the nut should be a nylock.

Interesting, mine did not have a nylock nut. That is why I went with blue loctite. I will need to order a new nut.

I go right because I had a steering wheel come loose on an old Chevy pick up as a kid. My buddy said he just put it together. It has always scared the crap out of me since...

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

thanks!  impact driver did the trick.  wanted to make sure before abusing it :-))  Mine did not have a nylock nut or locktite.  May explain why was torqued so tightly.

cliff
Seattle, WA

'72 BMW 2002 Tii Golf, '67 Austin Mini Cooper "S", '67 Morris Mini 1/4 T van, '12 MINI Countryman All4

'81 BMW R80 G/S, '67 Triumph Bonneville

Unless something's bunged up, the nyloc nut combined with the splines seems to be totally adequate to hold things together.  I always use a 6 point deep socket and a medium sized breaker bar to disassemble and assemble.  I've never had difficulty in getting the nut off doing this solo, and recall it always being nyloc, but haven't tried to keep score. 

Later models have finer (each smaller, more of them) splines and I have seen several E30's with aftermarket hubs that were stuck on by corrosion between the hub and the shaft - whatever corrosion product that comes from the die cast metal of the hub.  I'm sure it was the gunk in between, the steering column was unlocked).  So far, I've not seen a rusty steering shaft.  On the theory it's a dielectric thing, I plan on a very thin coatuing of never-sieze for the splines only before putting my aftermarket hub on the 1600 some day.  NOT on the threads at the top, doubt that would be good for the nyloc nut's intended purpose...

Carefully cleaning the splines, inside and out, should be on your list before assembly.

On reassembly, put the wave washer and nyloc nut on a screwdriver to guide it over the splines. Make sure your wheels are dead straight when you do it. Don't be surprised if your first trip down the road you have installed the steering wheel a splice or two off. It happens

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5