• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Car!!! 76' 2002!

Nesset127

So hello 2002faq! My name is Brandon and I live in the pacific north west. I have recently found out that exactly a week from today I will be buying a 1976 BMW 2002 as my first car. I was wondering is there any little weird things that i should know about the car?

What I mean by that is is there any weird things that may go wrong or anything like that.

Edited by Nesset127

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

Welcome!

Just start reading the forum: every thread, every article! Just kidding, sort of...

Steve

Thanks for the advice haha. Im relitively new to the idea of car fourms. Im sure I will have a great time with the little bavarian beast :D

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

1976 ?  EXCELLENT!  Best Of Breed!

Join BMWCCA so you can attend your local chapter

Drivers School Track Day -  get local Chapter news

letter and the National Roundel magazine. Joining the club

also gets you PARTS DISCOUNT at your nearby

BMW dealer for all the parts you'll soon be needing.

Give us a peek of your car so we can start helping

you with all the neubee questions your sure to have.

Welcome to the club.

sml_gallery_9267_6_140999.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

1976 ?  EXCELLENT!  Best Of Breed!

Join BMWCCA so you can attend your local chapter

Drivers School Track Day -  get local Chapter news

letter and the National Roundel magazine. Joining the club

also gets you PARTS DISCOUNT at your nearby

BMW dealer for all the parts you'll soon be needing.

Give us a peek of your car so we can start helping

you with all the neubee questions your sure to have.

Welcome to the club.

Funny because I actually went to the last BMW CCA Car Controll Clinic as a volenteer. I loved it! I will for sure be joining the puget sound chapter!

What sort of condition is the car in? These are great cars but take some TLC given how old the are!

Its beat up the interior could use new seats but other than that its VERY low mileage. 60k on the clock with the swapped M10 engine with a 32/36 weber carb and a E21 Limited Slip Dif and some BBS wheels.

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

Brandon--welcome to the world of 2002's!

One thing you should look at that is particular to the BMW 2002 is the driver-side engine mounting platfrom that supports the drivers side engine mount. This comes up from the front subframe just inside the steering box. It is well-known (among 2002 folk) that this support is weak, essentially a factory defect, and will eventually crack. Once it cracks all the way through the engine will shift position and unpleasant things can happen (stuck open throttle). This should be inspected by someone who knows what they are doing and fixed and strengthened with a welded brace if cracked. Even if not cracked, any time the front subframe is out of the car this area should be proactively reinforced to prevent future cracking.

When I bought my first 2002 I saw this was cracked and a BMW dealer quoted me an ungodly amount of money to replace the front subframe with a new one. That was in 1983, the car (a '73tii), was only 10 years old with 114,000 miles and already cracked. Fortunately, the local independant BMW Tech (Bill Arnold, for those of you in the SF Bay Area) dropped the subframe and welded it for a *much* smaller fee. This is issue is well documented on this forum and is one of the things you should look up sooner rather than later. It is actually pretty easy to pull the subframe, fix it and put it back in, if you know the sequence of disassembly to follow.

Best regards,

Fred '69 2002 GT3/4 and '74tii E-Mod

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Suggest signing up for a night course in German, not to speak it but there will be times when you must think like a 1960s German to understand this car. The first time through you will be amazed at the engineering, once you understand it. Nothing funner than a tight o2 on a twisty mountain road, getting to that point is the challenge. Welcome to the fray, jump right in and ask lots of Qs.

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Welcome mate! I got a '76 2002 for my first car 4 years ago as well. Damn good first car! Im out in Issaquah and I got lots of parts and advice. Most of the parts are still avaliable and affordable.

As David (Chamonix72) said, get a hold of Patrick and have him look over the 02 and see what it needs done. You'll see some cool 02's there and get some fantastic advice!! 

Good luck! You'll have fun! This is me 2 years after I got my ol' girl :) Hope to see ya sometime this Summer!!

257111_2072904188412_7878660_o.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Welcome mate! I got a '76 2002 for my first car 4 years ago as well. Damn good first car! Im out in Issaquah and I got lots of parts and advice. Most of the parts are still avaliable and affordable.

As David (Chamonix72) said, get a hold of Patrick and have him look over the 02 and see what it needs done. You'll see some cool 02's there and get some fantastic advice!!

Good luck! You'll have fun! This is me 2 years after I got my ol' girl :) Hope to see ya sometime this Summer!!

257111_2072904188412_7878660_o.jpg

I may be tooling around at the vintage races on July 5th at pacific international raceways next week. Can't drive it by myself for another 5 months. (Just got my permit but can't pass up a deal like this)

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily