• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Race- 1971 2002- Koepchen Tribute Car

FOR KOBLENZ:

Britney, in the Road America office, says the heat and humidity down in Florida must have taken ya'all into the twilight zone.

Otherwise, she's wastin' a lot of time prepping for the vintage cars this weekend.

mac.

Ok - I just watched your "montage" video. LOVE the part where the BOSS 302 skids off the track into the rough (I presume the video was shot from the 1800)!  See Ya.

Great videos.  Keep them coming!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

^^^ That was the Cyclone (turn 5) at Thunderhill... And likely from the CSL

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

We had our first race with my recently completed 1971 2002 vintage racer. We built the car from an old SCCA car I had bought some years ago. The car had sat in my shop for 8 years, and I decided it was time to get it back on track. Racecraft in Seattle did the build, and Tinney Performance built the motor.

We built the car as a tribute to Peter Keopchen, who was a BMW tuner and privateer racer back in the 1970's. He was fairly successful against the factory backed teams of Alpina and Schnitzer. We liveried it after his 1971 Nurburgring car:

WOW great job on the build, I always like the look of the Keopchen car!

First laps at Road America were everything I had hoped they would be. I was last at the track in 1971 as a spectator, but this was my first opportunity to drive it.

We had a little trouble with the distributor shaft lifting and turning on the drive gear. This was changing the timing and raising heck with the rotor and cap. All is well now.

post-45400-0-96395900-1374193400_thumb.j

Edited by NeueKlasseGuy

1971 NSU 1200 TT           http://www.msportvintage.com                 

1990 E30 M3 1/60 JTCC Racer 1972 HPK 2002 Racer

1975 GS Tuning 2002      1965 BMW 1800TiSA- #193

1971 BMW 2002                1973 BMW CSL      

First laps at Road America were everything I had hoped they would be. I was last at the track in 1971 as a spectator, but this was my first opportunity to drive it.

We had a little trouble with the distributor shaft lifting and turning on the drive gear. This was changing the timing and raising heck with the rotor and cap. All is well now.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

in car video (without music) and car specs or it didn't happen!   :D

2xM3

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My wife and I were at Infineon on the Friday test day for the Sonoma Motorsports Festival a month or so ago and I saw your CSL running with pack, great car and great to see it out there with the rest.  Was going to try and track you down after your run but had to get going.  It appears you are having lots of fun with the 2oo2 (perhaps more than with the CSL......? haha).  As an aside I had stopped by my fabricator friend (Roger Hamlin) who's shop is there in back of the track with the other race shops at the track, has a real deal motorsport CSL chassis in there at the moment, that he is working on for Henry Schmitt (sp) BmW of SF......I believe this is the Lemans car with the 900hp Turbojet motor....pretty cool.  Snapped a few images with my Iphone of some of the fab work Roger did on the steering rack and pedals.....such nice work.  At any rate nice job with the cars.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Sports Car Digest has a cool motion picture on page 5 of their report.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/hawk-at-road-america-2013-report-and-photos/5/

How'd it go Steve?

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20