• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Ad

bmwfan

Looking at possibly buying a 72 2002 that has been " restored " by 2002 AD in Pomona, CA.

Has anyone had any dealings with this company that specializes in BMW's. If so, what is your opinion of their work?

Thanks, Walt

also interested in opinion of pics of trans tunnel. ? is that rust through or normal cut outs ?

post-45229-0-63124100-1373778133_thumb.j

Edited by bmwfan

as with most companies nowadays, the vast majority of customers are completely happy with products and services.  but, in the age of the internet, it is all too easy for one person who had an issue (through their own doing of because of the business) to broadcast their side of a two sided story across the nets.....whether it is true or not.  

it seems each time someone does this to 2002AD,  2002AD responds with a calm explanation of the issue.  no matter how abusive the accuser is.

i have no connection with 2002AD, nor have i ever done any biz with them.  just see this crap happening to small businesses regularly.

2xM3

I agree with myltyl. Never worked with them but have many friends that have. Most of them are satisfied but 2002AD seems to be taking all the heat from a few bitter customers that have made it tough on 2002AD.

It's really who you want to believe. Can't find any other reputable shops like 2002AD.

Best of luck & sure you will find a great car for an unbeatable price.

Well this sure opened a " can of worms " I am looking at a red 72 2002 on ebay. It is in Oregon, but states is owned by owner of 2002AD. My concerns are the car looks great, but as attested to in other posts the restorations can be superfical only. With poor or covered up rust repairs under shinny new paint.

The dealer in Oregon sent me many pics that I requested of the undercarriage. Appears the underside is solid. except the spare tire well.

Well this sure opened a " can of worms " I am looking at a red 72 2002 on ebay. It is in Oregon, but states is owned by owner of 2002AD. My concerns are the car looks great, but as attested to in other posts the restorations can be superfical only. With poor or covered up rust repairs under shinny new paint.

The dealer in Oregon sent me many pics that I requested of the undercarriage. Appears the underside is solid. except the spare tire well.

The Seller in Oregon actually says it is owned by the original founder of 2002AD.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I certainly agree with Marshall's comments above. And it sounds like you are taking an appropriately-careful approach. But I would also add: don't get hung up on the word "restored." There are as many definitions of this word as there are people. There are $600 restorations and there are $100,000 restorations. Neither is in itself good or bad; rather, it's an issue of scope.

If a company such as 2002AD, or Korman, or any shop had done an every-nut-and-bolt $100,000 restoration on a factory turbo -- and I were contemplating buying it -- I'd probably want to know what other customers, who have had similar restorations, think about their restored cars. But one must first carefully weigh the scope of the restoration to judge how much the "restorer" matters. Do you know, or can you tell -- on this example -- what the "restoration" entailed? (The undercarriage photo, for instance, does not look like a car that has had -- at least not in the recent past -- a comprehensive restoration.) If, for instance, 2002AD, simply swapped out the engine, their reputation is likely less important than if they did more comprehensive work. Do you know whejn the work was performed? (Since these cars generally started rusting while they were on the ship to the U.S., one shouldn't expect even a fabulous 15-year-old restoration to necessarily be fabulous today.)

There is no substitute for driving the car and examining it carefully, or having a "2002 professional," drive the car and conduct a PPI. Regardless of who worked on the car previously, someone today needs to "poke" at items such as the rear shock towers!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

never bought a whole car from them, but quite a few parts over the years.  Never a problem.  2 years ago I had them install a new heater core, I was very happy with the work quality.

rust-through:  I guess I don't know what I'm looking at, I see no rust-through.  Also, if the car has been a SoCal car "forever" it probably won't have rust ...... mine doesn't, or if it does, it is still invisible.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

As Conserv said, either do an inspection yourself or pay someone to do it.  Anyone that buys a car from pictures or from a dealer's "description" sorry to say deserves what they get.  The reality anymore sadly is that the honest ones out there are the exceptions to the rule.  Sometimes it works out, other times not so much......and all you need to do is a search here on the FAQ to find many threads of pure misery from people that have been torched buying cars that they thought were something else than what was represented.  Find someone to see it in person or go yourself if your qualified.  Good luck.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

There is no substitute for driving the car and examining it carefully, or having a "2002 professional," drive the car and conduct a PPI. Regardless of who worked on the car previously, someone today needs to "poke" at items such as the rear shock towers!

Good luck,

Steve

As Conserv said, either do an inspection yourself or pay someone to do it.  Anyone that buys a car from pictures or from a dealer's "description" sorry to say deserves what they get.  The reality anymore sadly is that the honest ones out there are the exceptions to the rule.  Sometimes it works out, other times not so much......and all you need to do is a search here on the FAQ to find many threads of pure misery from people that have been torched buying cars that they thought were something else than what was represented.  Find someone to see it in person or go yourself if your qualified.  Good luck.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

read and heed....always have somone else look at it if you can't.....no matter who is selling it.

2xM3

This was posted recently. 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/75465-do-not-shop-at-2002-ad/

Definitely do your homework.  Ask the right questions and get the answers in writing.  Get detailed photos.  And be prepared to spend a few extra bucks because it is 2002AD vs a private party selling the car.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

• 1 month later...

I did buy the 2002. Had it about 3 weeks. As expected it was not quite up to meeting the hype of the seller. I did not by it from 2002AD, but for the founder of 2002AD. Overall OK with the car, but prob. paid to much.

My fault for not doing the road trip to view the car.

Thanks for all of your insites.

Walt