• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasoline Destroyed New Paint Below Gas Cap. Who's At Fault?

Bozeman02

btw, dont put any stickers on that car that you dont want on forever... otherwise that paint is comming right off with it like a fruit roll-up

pederhorner,I only mention the bad paint because I destroyed a 60k marine engine paint job, with a bad mix of 2 part poly/uro  IMRON paint. good luck keep us informed.

Edited by ndog

btw, dont put any stickers on that car that you dont want on forever... otherwise that paint is comming right off with it like a fruit roll-up

Good point. Thankfully, I don't do stickers of any kind. It's rather uncouth in my opinion.

Bozeman, MT
1971 Colorado Orange 2002

PEH_5055.jpeg

I am in the bodyshop industry for 25 plus years and have never seen that happen. Something is not right here and the shop needs to deal with it . period. Although if gas will do that ,blending the paint may be a problem. 

Bill

vancouver BC

73 tii

Thanks Bill, that is some good information. 

Bozeman, MT
1971 Colorado Orange 2002

PEH_5055.jpeg

The fact that you are far from that shop does not mean it's the shop's responsibility to pay for transport.  It is unreasonable to expect a shop to do more than repair the damage caused by the gas spill.

My car leaks too.  After every fill up, when I take the car out on a spirited drive, (that's all I do with it) I get fuel below the cap.  I painted the car 10 years ago and it has not peeled, flaked or bubbled.  The fuel has discolored the clear coat slightly but after a good wash and some polish, you hardly notice it.  (I really should get a new seal for that cap.)

That does not mean that all paints must resist gasoline exposure over extended periods of time.  What really failed was your gas tank cap which caused the leak and the paint to fail.  How is the rest of the car after 2 years?  If in fact there was an error in mixing or applying the paint, you should see symptoms of paint failure elsewhere on the car.  A good body/paint shop should be able to inspect your car closely and tell you if that's the case and put it in writing.  If so, then the whole car needs to be stripped and resprayed.  It would be worth sending the car back to California to do it again correctly if the shop agrees that it is in fact a failure.  Otherwise, if gasoline does in fact destroy that type of paint, then redo it locally and find a way to avoid future spillage.  You may consider relocating your fuel filler cap inside the trunk and close off that panel completely.  You're going to repaint that panel anyway  (That's what I did to my 74 tii.)  Clean look.  No spillage.  Just make sure your cap is airtight and the tank is correctly vented.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

bad mix of 2 part poly/uro  IMRON paint

yeah, that could do it, if a particular stage (maybe the primer/filler, or the base coat) never catalyzed properly- it'd react with anything that

could get to it.

Admit it, though- you were using Jasco instead of gasoline!

(hee)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL