• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn Mounting....

kjf654321

Hello all,

I'm slowly trying to get a 2002 back on the road.  The PO had started to strip the car in plans to restore it and than lost interest...hence I stepped in.   This weeks project is to put in the horns.  But since they were missing I'm having a problem figuring out where they mount.  The one on the drivers side seems obvious but I'm not sure about the passage side.  I haven't found a good pic.  Can someone post a pic of how their horns are mounted?

-Ken

A not so good shot of the driver's side

Aug3014.jpg

both sides

Aug2147.jpg[/url

You can see the mounting tabs on a 72

Aug19839.jpg

]

Bill,

Please don't take this the wrong way, and I am not generally a man of excess, but when I see your car, I have an urge to lick it! It is cleaner, shinier, and more appetizing than any creamsicle! Don't let me near it!

And, yes, it's beautiful.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I can't remember what year, but earlier roundie cars (maybe before Model-71) did only have the left side horn bracket. The one in front of the battery. When I mount two horns on these earlier '02s I mount both on the one bracket. Be sure that the open mouth of the horn points downward so that it doesn't collect water.

Please always refer to left and right side of the car as viewed from the driver seat. Thus, the intake is on the left side and exhaust on the right, even if the picture is from the front of the car. The left headlight is the (left hand drive) drivers side, always. This is how professionals view cars, and it makes things easier if there's a simple rule like this.

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The early 1600s came with only one horn, the 2002s with two. One of the perks for that extra $400 you paid for a 2002 vs a 1600.  My Feb 69 production car came with a pair of "seashell" horns (curled up trumpet), one on each side.  Later 2002s had flat horns, like those used on Mercedes and VW Beetles. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Jesus... What am I reading.... Horns and licking peoples creamsicles  :blink:

On the note of the topic. Here are my horns. You can sorta see the mounting tab back there...

IMG_0599.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2