• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi,

I have a query about the fit of urethane bushes to replace the stock rubber ones.

I installed some new Energy Suspension bushes on the front sub-frame over the weekend

and noticed that the front end ones that hold the tension strut/rod were very loose. The two 

halves of the bushing were tight up against one another when it was all bolted together, 

however there was a lot of play and wiggle room.

I can't imagine that this is normal ?

Should I perhaps trim down the length of these bushings to create a tighter fit ?

Has anyone come across this before ?

Any thoughts would be really helpful as I don't want to end up with some more serious 

problem further down the line from driving on them like this.

cheers

G

April '71 2002 LHD - hard won daily driver

I believe the Energy Suspension bushings are designed for over-sized sway bars.  I've used them on 21mm and 22mm bars, and they fit quite well.  I would expect that they'd be loosey goosey as you've described if you applied them to stock sway bars.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I believe the Energy Suspension bushings are designed for over-sized sway bars.  I've used them on 21mm and 22mm bars, and they fit quite well.  I would expect that they'd be loosey goosey as you've described if you applied them to stock sway bars.

I think he was talking about the strut rods that tie the lower control arm to the sub frame (not he sway bar)

I used the Energy suspension bushings and they fit well - not sloppy as you described Geeom.  Could you have possibly got a set that were miss packaged? (wrong bushings in the right box?)

Edited by algon

I think he was talking about the strut rods that tie the lower control arm to the sub frame (not he sway bar)

I used the Energy suspension bushings and they fit well - not sloppy as you described Geeom.  Could you have possibly got a set that were miss packaged? (wrong bushings in the right box?)

Jeepers.  I really failed reading comprehension on this one.

Geeom--is it possible you've accidentally tried to use the control arm bushings in the front subframe?  If so, they would fit quite loosely as you've described.  Perhaps if you provide the kit number for the bushings we can help sort this out.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Do these bushings have those steel sleeves? Im pretty sure the control arm bushings (#14 in diagram) have steel sleeves but im unsure about #5. Maybe you lost/forgot/never recieved the inserts?  

The other issue could be... maybe you didnt tigheten the #2 nut enough? You need to crank it down and squish the bushings a bit.

Check that you are using the washers as well, #9 and #4 in diagram. Not using them would mess up the tightness of the joint. They are thick washers, and i believe 9 is convex. So dont just round up/fab any random washer if they are missing.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2213&mospid=47140&btnr=31_0436&hg=31&fg=05

Hey thanks for your quick responses everyone.

Algon : I can't imagine that they were incorrectly packed. They come in a pack with the control arm bushings and those fitted.

WillGruff : I bought the set from Brandon at BluntTech. There was only the packet they came in. No code or box.

mlytle : I'll try get some pics tomorrow, if it can stop raining here for long enough.

sl0ride : the bushings do have the inner steel sleeve and I did use washers #4 & #9. If I recall I tightened it up against the ends of the steel sleeve with nut #2. I was able to insert the split pin too.  It was such an ordeal getting the sub-frame bolted back in that it's not

100% in my mind thinking back. Am second guessing myself now. I'll double check and feedback.

How much should one torque these urethane bushings otherwise?

thanks

G

Thanks William.

This is really helpful. Yip mine are exactly the same, 7026.

I'm going to get under the car on Saturday and try tighten the nut further.

I came across a post by TobyB who recommended using a washer with a large 

centre diameter hole that would fit around the steel sleeve. This would mean

that the bushing could be squeezed even more if needed.

Thanks William.

This is really helpful. Yip mine are exactly the same, 7026.

I'm going to get under the car on Saturday and try tighten the nut further.

I came across a post by TobyB who recommended using a washer with a large 

centre diameter hole that would fit around the steel sleeve. This would mean

that the bushing could be squeezed even more if needed.

I had to do this on one of my IE bushings in that place. I've also taken a little off of the center metal sleeve in a lathe too. Sometimes they take a little massaging to fit right. Good luck!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 5 years later...
On 8/13/2013 at 8:36 AM, williamggruff said:

The bushings that are used between the front subframe and the push rod are numbered 7026, and they do have a metal sleeve.CAM_0401.JPGCAM_0402.JPGCAM_0405.JPGCAM_0413.JPG

CAM_0414.JPGCAM_0416.JPGCAM_0418.JPG

CAM_0419.JPG

I know this is a post from 6 yrs back, but do you know what energy suspension parts number this 7026 bushing is? Can't seem to find 7026 associated with energy suspension. Have this item been discontinued?

1 hour ago, williamggruff said:

Thanks for the quick response. I've looked through their website and can't seem to find the 7026 bushing. I've actually order a set for the 02s from their website and the front subframe bushing was not part of that kit. Wonder if they still manufacturer that item, I prefer not to buy the ireland version if I don't have too.