• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Interior - Door Panel Repair

jso5000

Guten Abend @all,

cannot contribute on US spec cars but can maybe add some info for red leather or leather in general in 02s in Germany. Leather was available as special option for german cars - quite rare though. Personally saw three black and one grey that looked factory-made and not upgraded or recovered somewhen later on (car history only comprehensible on one of the blacks, others not 100% known).

For factory red leather a friend had a 72 2002 in silver with e-sunroof he bought at the end of 90s from first owner with original invoice and all other documents. Headrests non-leather as car was originally ordered without those and had them added later on in the 70s (were covered with the color-fitting fitting red fabric which was already quite faded at the time photos were taken in early 2000s). E21 crossspoke alloys also added later on.

post-36854-0-63110800-1377040183_thumb.j

post-36854-0-14477400-1377040212_thumb.j

post-36854-0-37935000-1377040237_thumb.j

post-36854-0-95603900-1377040257_thumb.j

post-36854-0-96056100-1377040283_thumb.j

I also heard of a touring with factory red leather but I don´t have pictures for that car. For sedan and touring only the seats were made of leather, panels front and rear were made of vinyl with fitting color. Never found a part number anywhere for those special-colored panels/vinyl in any parts catalogue - neither microfiche nor old paper type.

post-36854-0-07801700-1377040486_thumb.j

Vollcabrio and targa completed by Baur in Stuttgart also had the side panels made of leather, picture above showing a Vollcabrio / convertible.

Best regards, Lars.

P.S.: Have never seen a Laufzettel in an 02, to my opinion this is only for newer models.

Edit 16-Sep-2013: Searched for something else in a 72 auxiliary paper parts catalogue and found part numbers for the special-colored door panels there.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I'm kinda new to this site. I recently purchased a 1976 2002. It has Anthrazite exterior and Red interior. I have done alot of searching here and on the web and have found little info on 2002s with Red interiors. My post is two fold:

First: I'm interested in seeing other members cars with factory red interiors. The interior looks to be cardinal red, however it seems as though classic red could be closer. Anyone know which reds were offered in 1976 ?

Second: My door panels have speakers installed in the lower forward corner. I want to remove these and repair the hole. I am seeking options and ideas to make it "look" factory again.attachicon.gifphoto(2).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto(3).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Sorry. I didn't realize yours was this one! Thanks.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

No worries -

My 02 has been in a holding pattern because of that damn red leather -ha.

For now Im keeping as is with the torn and tattered red leather and starting

mechanical mods. then body work+paint then well see about those leather seat seats.Always appreciate your insights.

John