• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Interior - Door Panel Repair

jso5000

I will send an email to obtain the build details. Once I get that I will post. I think, with a high degree of certainty we can say that the last 200 cars were not all Polaris, were not all 4 spd manuals and didnt all have sunroofs.

JSO

Interesting. Just prepped and sold my son's 1982 733i (E23). His interior leather looks to be really similar to yours in color. It looked like a PO had let a sizable dog run laps in the back seat. Spent some quality time with a jar of Meltonian Red Rouge, which worked amazingly.  Funny, the woman who bought the car mentioned that her favorite thing about this BMW was the red leather.

post-41346-0-79710400-1376586755_thumb.p

post-41346-0-38397600-1376586786_thumb.j

post-41346-0-81151000-1376586803_thumb.j

post-41346-0-73890800-1376586825_thumb.j

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

I will send an email to obtain the build details. Once I get that I will post. I think, with a high degree of certainty we can say that the last 200 cars were not all Polaris, were not all 4 spd manuals and didnt all have sunroofs.

JSO

The stories I heard didn't suggest that they were sequential VIN cars, simply a group comprised of late '76 cars. So between Anthrazit, Schwarz, and Polaris examples, maybe the red leather was the only common factor for a late run of '02's.

One note: once BMW NA took over the U.S. distribution from Hoffman around January 1975, records of interior colors and selling dealer appear to have been maintained (and c.d., for one, had access to this data). I presume BMW Archives has this information from early '75 through '76. But...the interior color codes in their records appeared to have been scrambled: they were showing modern BMW interior colors and materials -- colors and leathers not available until the '90's (I seem to recall that my '76, which came with navy blue leatherette interior, was shown as having black alcanthara leather!) -- rather than correct colors. Nonetheless, you could ask the question when you contact Andreas! Just be prepared for a nonsensical answer.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Or...could we be talking about a few European-delivery cars? I know that under the Hoffman regime, a European-delivered U.S.-spec car could have options not ordinarily available in the States. Was that equally true of European-delivered U.S.-spec cars under the newly-instituted BMW NA?

Attached are two photos from the entire-line '75-'76 Farben Polster (Color and Upholstery) brochure; my copy is dated 2/75.

The first photo shows the factory-recommended leatherette upholstery colors for the various exterior colors offered. The second photo shows the red leather option L 2727, theoretically available on all models but for 1502 and 518.

Steve

post-41123-0-46300900-1376665858_thumb.j

post-41123-0-35988600-1376665879_thumb.j

I sent the email to Andreas, however he is on vacation (holidays) at the moment. So I may take a week until he gets back. I'll keep all posted. 

That Meltonian product that 72-Targa mentioned is sold and marketed for shoes. Was there any rubbing off of the product onto cloths after application? I could see someone with white pants sitting on the seat and after some aggressive driving have some red polish transfer to the white pants - would be rather embarrassing for- say - a woman. 

72-targa do you think this product would be ok on the vinyl door panels? 

As I do my research I get feeling that there were not too many Anthrazitegrau cars either. So I ay be faced with an interesting dilemma. If this is truly a red interiored / anthracite car then it may be rather rare. Do I proceed with my plans of 4 speed swap, minor engine mods, bumper removal/replacement, suspension lowering, etc. Or does it just stay bone stock as it is now. 

We'll see when the build data is verified.

Thanks,

JSO

Conserv - just read your post. The PO of the car only owned it for 1.5 years. He bought it from the original owner of 35 years. I will try to reach out to the original owner to potentially gain some insight into the purchase details.

JSO

Conserv - just read your post. The PO of the car only owned it for 1.5 years. He bought it from the original owner of 35 years. I will try to reach out to the original owner to potentially gain some insight into the purchase details.

JSO

All good. And by the way, Andreas may offer you only (1.) build date; (2.) date of title transfer to the U.S. distributor, BMW NA in this instance; and (3.) original exterior color. But they do also have the name of the original BMW retail dealer (only for cars sold after the creation of BMW NA in 1975), besides the interior color, on which I've spoken previously. I know this only because Forum member, c.d. (c.diesel?) pulled the information for my car and they had the dealer's name correct in spite of the interior color mis-coding. This dealer's name might be the U.S. dealer that penned the European sales contract; or it might be the dealer that provided physical delivery. I haven't a clue!

I sincerely hope we can learn something more about this!

Regards,

Steve

JSO, I used the Meltonian sparingly, and really worked it in/rubbed it out. Also, a very warm interior seemed to help set it. After a couple of months of driving, I noticed no rub-off (on faded jeans versus white pants). Good luck, and again, use your own judgement here. It's your investment...

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

JSO

Your car was on Ebay Dec '12 and the Seller stated the Red leather interior was original. The Ebay Seller's ID is no longer valid, so can't help you there. Hopefully you have a contact for him. The Seller was in Charleston, SC, at that time.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

02Les - you are spot on. The PO bought if off ebay, went to SC, and drove it back to Indiana. Lost interest and now I have it. I am contacting him to see if he will divulge the original owners name and/or contact info. More to come.

All-

I got some info back from Andreas, it is as follows:

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 US Automatic VIN 2393109 was manufactured on June 30th, 1976 and delivered on July 23rd, 1976 to the importer BMW of North America in Montvale, New Jersey. The original colour was Anthrazitgrau metallic (Anthracite Grey metallic), paint code 055.

Unfortunately there are no details about interior and special options mentioned in the delivery books. Maybe you are lucky and able to find the so called "Laufzettel" under the rear seat bench (where the colours and options are coded). Then you can send me a picture of the "Laufzettel" and I will check the options lists for more information.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Christina Hartung

BMW Group Archiv

WAY Group 
Alfred-Arndt-Str. 
80807 München

Internet: www.waygroup.de

so now I will check under the rear seat to see if there is the "Laufzettle" there.

Correction: Actually Christina replied - not Andreas