• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlantik Track Car In Seattle- All The Right Parts... Mostly...

TobyB

Okay, it's time to sell the 69. It's been tabbed for a year and I haven't driven it a half- dozen times.

Features: 5- speed, 320 3:91 diff, 320 rear drums, 320 vented rotors and Volvo calipers with stainless flex lines, Bilstein Sports, Ireland coilovers (325 in front, about 300 rear) ST sway bars, mostly urethane bushings, MSD 6AL, VDO tach in the center where it should be, oil and temp gauges, 320 sport steering wheel, Accusump, and a black- plywood- over- carpet rear seat delete. Gen 1 Acura seats with sub strap slots cut into them.

Motor out of another parts car with a 32/36 on top of it.

OZ Fittipaldis in the trunk, painted Atlantik to match the body. Bald SO3's on 'em.

Set of snow tires on bottlecaps, too, for a few bucks more...

And probably a few things I've forgotten.

Here's the saga- sometime around 1997, I was restoring a 70 for Jenn. It was taking forever, we had two disassembled cars, not all the parts we needed, low motivation and nothing to use as a guide to put it all back together. So one night, driving home late after work, I see this car. Decent shape, transmission shot, oxidized paint and one rear corner stoved in by a Metro articulated. And some good parts, and the price was right.

So a few years later, we finished Jenn's car, I cleaned this one up and painted it, and took it to the track, all stock. Single barrel carb and all. And had a blast. Over the next 5 or 6 years it became a track rat- it's fully streetable, but it's more comfortable hauling about 85 coming out of t2 at Pacific Raceways. It's been to Mission, Portland, Spokane and PR, and it's competent. You'll want earplugs on I-90, though, if you're going to SRP... Underpowered, but there you are... when I put a freshened head on the original block, the pistons decided they'd had enough, and let the rings run free- and so, the parts car motor. It runs well- I've never done compression and leakdown on it though. Burns a bit of oil, and the pressure relief's stuck- thus, the Accusump.

More history- it seems it was purchased in Spokane, went to Germany with a serviceman, came back with his ID as a VIN (!!! made registration a treat the first time, but it's cleared up now) got a pretty substantial restoration (they use a LOT of salt in Germany, and in Spokane) and then got sold to the kid I bought it from. So I guess we're the third owners...

Why so cheap, you ask? Well, it's been hit a few times, as this town really doesn't care much any more. Needs a bit of basic maintenance, like, the center track rod's getting loose, the right strut mount needs a new spherical bearing, and so on. Did I mention the salt in Germany and Spokane? Yep, it has rust. So:

this car is for you if you need the parts. It'd be ideal for someone who's started restoring car, but who, like us, got stuck taking things apart, and it's taking far too long and you'd like some instant gratification before this great weather goes away. And maybe next year, too, if it's really gotten out of hand (yes, I've spent 3 or 4 years restoring a car, too)

This might also be a good way for someone who's alreay done a bunch of tracking to try a 2002- if you like it, it's a starter kit to build a solid one, If you don't like it, well, the parts are worth more than what I'm asking.

But this car is NOT for you if you think it's going to become a 100 point resto candidate. Really. It's a car to be driven now, have some fun, then when you need the parts from it, parted out. Or transferred to that pristine shell you've been saving in a barrel of oil in the basement.

Anyhow, here are a few pix, and email me if you want more- RacerY att comcast dott net

thanks for reading,

t

Oh, and no, I'm not parting it out at this point, so if you want parts, you can have them- you just have to take them all. And yes, you can drive them home...

Year: 1969

Make: BMW

Model: 2002

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL