• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Crankshaft Pulley Pointer For '69

vtglenn

Fixing up a '69 that's been sitting in my barn for my daughter. My eyes aren't 35 anymore so I had trouble seeing the pointer and timing marks on the pulley last spring. Not where it is on my  '74 or at least not where I could see it. So enough of this says I and pull the unit out into the light frozen rear brakes and all. Didn't help. Well I'll pop off the radiator and clean things up. Nothing. Well I'll get the alternator out of the way and take it up to the shop to be checked out. Nope. Well I'll pull the valve cover and line up the cam mark with the sprinkle line. Now I can really clean that unit. Been taking pics w stupid Iphone eldest daughter bequeathed me but I still don't see anything. Might be three lines close together about where I might expect 'em but I need to go to the store for more emory cloth.

So any "tips" on a new fab pointer?

Use the marks on the flywheel , visible thru the hole on the gearbox.Use SEARCH function for more details.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I made one out of a piece of aluminum channel.  Never took any pictures, though.

Some of the front pulleys are marked at TDC and 180- others don't seem to be.

the front pointer's easier to shoot, and better for things like leakdown and static timing,

where you want to know more than 'Oh, look, a bearing'

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I guess I'm just kind of front pointer type. I have seen the ball but not on this '02. Just want to set something up I can see without a strobe for TDC. I like the idea of the aluminium channel; probably will hit caffeine shop tomorrow for neighborhood fab ideas, etc. 

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

There are 2 marks on flywheel, one is the ball bearing at 25 degrees before and a line at zactly TDC #!, I use the pointer too but flywheel can be used.

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Nice pointer. What marks have you cut? I too prefer the front pulley - much easier to see and you can add more marks as needed. I'm not sure when factory dropped the built-in front marker; my 67 has one.

Also in jgerrock's photo - what is that big bracket under the oil filter? I thought AC was on the pass side.

Also in jgerrock's photo - what is that big bracket under the oil filter? I thought AC was on the pass side.

Huge bracket is for the emissions (smog) pump. It also includes the dipstick mount. I can only imagine how hard it would be to change the oil filter with all that stuff in the way.

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I remember doing 25-30-35, but that doesn't look right based on the photo, does it?

t

Isn't the crank on TDC and maybe the 3 notches are the 25-30-35.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.