• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential First Time Buyer - Looking For Opinions

emg2919

This car is located near me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-BMW-2002tii-Car-Made-BMW-The-Ultimate-Driving-Machine-/261279045276?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cd571d69c#ht_792wt_1166

I went to look at it, and am curious what the general consensus is on the car.  There is rust, a lot of it, on the floors.  The spare tire wheel well.  Some surface stuff here and there.  The rear subframe was repaired, although poorly.  It is on eBay for 4500 now, but I would not pay that much.  But I think there is some value there.

It does not run. Front brakes are not installed, missing tii air filter canister, drivers door hinge is rusted off, and a few other things.

This would be my first 2002 (prior e30 owner).  I am looking for a project, I would outsource the rust work on the floor boards.  I would do the brakes, the interior carpet install, and get it running (sort out the fuel issue, fuel pump, potential vapor lock, etc.).

It did turn over a few times and ran on the starter fluid we sprayed into the manifold, but it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel to the injectors.  Also, there was a cable that plugs into the injectors that wasn't completely plugged, so not sure if the injectors are even getting power.  Could be a money pit, could be some value.  It is a tii, I checked the vin.  Basically I want to get something that I can get running, replace the carpet, clean it up, get the floors fixed, then sell it for the one I really want (verona 71,72,73...doesnt have to be tii).

Anyone care to offer their fair price guess?  Or cash in hand, truck and trailer at the ready price?

Look for a better car, rust repair, paint and mechanicals will cost more than a 15K Tii.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

That's serious rust and what you can't see may be a bigger challenge and $$$$.  But the parts are worth quite a bit so it's your call as to what the right price is.

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

stop looking at 2002's.  go buy a copy of mccartney's book "2002 restoration guide".  read it cover to cover, twice.  do faq searches on "looking at a 2002"  and read all the threads.  then allow 6-12 months to look at cars to buy.

seriously.  educate yourself before looking at more cars.  it will help you find a project instead of a disaster.

2xM3

Wasn't looking too bad until I got to the floor pictures.  Yikes!  

Rear shock towers may have been patched.  No telling how really bad it is until the carpets and rear seat are removed.

Also may have 1-piece dash.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

stop looking at 2002's.  go buy a copy of mccartney's book "2002 restoration guide".  read it cover to cover, twice.  do faq searches on "looking at a 2002"  and read all the threads.  then allow 6-12 months to look at cars to buy.

seriously.  educate yourself before looking at more cars.  it will help you find a project instead of a disaster.

I have seen you post this response before, so I purchased this book from Amazon and I have read it, cover to cover, twice.  As well as James Taylors' restorers reference.  I have been on the hunt for 2 years.  

I will search and find more related posts.

I would have thought that there still may be value in this car...I was thinking around 1500 bucks.  Sounds like the majority here wouldn't take this care if it was given to them.

All I am looking for is a drivers car, not a concours.  Something that would be mechanically easy enough to get running, and some body work.  I know rust is the devil, but I thought for the right price there still may be value left in this 72 2002tii.  

This one just looks like a lot of rust is hiding.  The rear shock towers look like they have already been patched.  It does not look like they were patched well. They look like the patches may have just been put over the top of rust. I could be way off, I have been before.  If you are looking just to buy this car and flip it so you can buy the car you really want, I wouldn't do it.  It will be a money pit with the rust.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

I have seen you post this response before, so I purchased this book from Amazon and I have read it, cover to cover, twice.  As well as James Taylors' restorers reference.  I have been on the hunt for 2 years.  

I will search and find more related posts.

I would have thought that there still may be value in this car...I was thinking around 1500 bucks.  Sounds like the majority here wouldn't take this care if it was given to them.

All I am looking for is a drivers car, not a concours.  Something that would be mechanically easy enough to get running, and some body work.  I know rust is the devil, but I thought for the right price there still may be value left in this 72 2002tii.  

good...then you would know that this is not the car to buy if you want to drive it.. :)

the value in that car is the parts.  engine, grills, seats, clock, struts, trailing arms, etc. if those aren't rusted out, and you have the space, time and tools to take it apart, advertise and ship stuff, you could pay $2500 for it and make a grand or two on the parts. then cut up and junk the shell.  parting out a car is a LOT of work.  BTDT.

2xM3

I am not looking specifically for a tii.  Generally speaking a sub-4k car that needs some TLC.  If it is a roundie, that's even better/preferred, but not a deal breaker.

Yes I've seen this one on CL in Lakeland...emailed him twice, haven't heard back.  This would be ideal for myself, although I'm not fond of the color but it would be an easy enough re-spray the way it sits now.  

I wish he would email back or delete the ad, it's such a tease.  

When getting closer to buying (after you learn learn learn) you can always put a WTB ad on craigslist. That way you should have a couple more to chose from. Being patient and educated are the main keys here. It took me about a year before I found the right one at the right price and yes they answered my craigslist ad. Good luck

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

I am not looking specifically for a tii.  Generally speaking a sub-4k car that needs some TLC.  If it is a roundie, that's even better/preferred, but not a deal breaker.

Yes I've seen this one on CL in Lakeland...emailed him twice, haven't heard back.  This would be ideal for myself, although I'm not fond of the color but it would be an easy enough re-spray the way it sits now.  

I wish he would email back or delete the ad, it's such a tease.  

Right!!!  Stay in touch.  PM'd you my cell.  I can keep an eye out.