• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many '02's Are There?

Wahnsinn

Just curious.  Wikipedia says that something like 861,000 2002's were manufactured.  Does anyone have any idea how many could be left out there?

I live in the Buffalo NY area, and have seen one other '02 this summer, and that includes a trip to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Racing Weekend.

Thanks

Total 2002 and 1600 sales in the US, 1967-76 was right at 100,000 units (88k 2002s, 12k 1600s).  I've seen estimates of about 15k or so still alive and (reasonably) well in the US.  I suspect more surviving cars are concentrated in dry climates like the Southwest.  A significant percentage of 02s were sold in California and the Northeast.  Most Northeast cars have succumbed to the tinworm, so I would think the largest number of survivors are in California. 

We took two cross-country driving trips this summer, Dayton-Vancouver BC and Dayton-Monterey CA--saw two 2002s that weren't at Oktoberfest--one in Omaha NE and the other in Carmel CA.  But remember that even 15 surviving 2002s are pretty well lost in a total of over 200,000,000 cars in the US!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There are 743 2002's left, and we just trade them around....

seriously, I don't think anyone has better than a rough guess- there

are more than a few that are 'off the grid'

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

... I suspect more surviving cars are concentrated in dry climates like the Southwest.  A significant percentage of 02s were sold in California and the Northeast.  Most Northeast cars have succumbed to the tinworm...

+1

Having moved to Atlanta 6 years ago after 20+ years in NYC, I am still struck by the large numbers of surviving '02's in Atlanta -- which, I suspect, was not a large '02 market back in the day. In NYC, I saw maybe one '02 a year. Here, in Atlanta, I probably see one '02 every other week, and it's not the same one!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I've seen a surprising number around NYC... I can think of 10 off the top of my head, with about half of those being driven more than a few times a month. I lucked out and have a 02 buddy 3 blocks away, and theres a guy who ive never spoken to who has 3 of them (in random states of repair) about 8 blocks away.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

theres a guy who ive never spoken to who has 3 of them (in random states of repair) about 8 blocks away.

Are you talking about the shop next door to Dinosaur BBQ? I saw a Sahara automatic outside of there and a couple more inside. The red one looked a little rough but the one closest to the fence looked in decent shape. Wonder what he's doing with them. 

mike tunney

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, agree that a lot of these cars kind of fly under the radar. Mine is the only one I know of that runs.

I know of one ran when parked with some rust that was in a storage unit but may be gone now. A rusty 02 that sits on front of someone's house with flat tires, and a tii I have never seen but talked to the owner, not run for years and some rust.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

I usually see two or so. In Oregon I was the only driving one in Corvallis. Two were no drivers. Here in Ellensburg I'm pretty sure I'm the only one...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2