• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Oil... Really?

gliding_serpent2

My clamps are original as delivered. Never had a mechanic mess with my car so I'm sure it is stock.

Any other '76ers out there with pictures?  Send us a "You-Tube". 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Birdie said:

Any idea if switching out this guide tube is something that BMW mechanics did to these cars along the way?

Clamps came later.  Yours is the real deal.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Posted (edited)

My 76er is like John’s and Mark’s. A short stub pipe in the block, a section of hose, then a long pipe - held together with dual worm clamps - - but mine have been on/off a few times, and I now have the heads to the right side, to better hide the exposed clamp ‘ends’…

I guess one nice thing with this later arrangement, you don’t have to remove/reinsert the pipe in the block..

Edited by visionaut

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

It may be that the hose and clamp arrangement has something to do with all the thrmo-reacter  and all the other smog equipment for it, Don't know but there must be a reason for the 3 or 4 types of dip stick mounts.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

It may be that the hose and clamp arrangement has something to do with all the thrmo-reacter 

I always thought the hose connector allowed the tube to be repositioned out of the way to clear a canister oil filter, KFish or dual Solex carbs? Or perhaps to fit a shorter or longer dip stick for whatever reason ... or to tap in a "T" connector for an oil catch can drain.

Don't think it had anything to do with smog equipment.

I was thinking the flex hose was to allow more clearance for smog stuff, not anything to do with the function of the smog stuff.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

To complete the descent of this thread into dip stick nerdom (insert Dukes of Hazard gag) here's the early m10 set-up before the bean counters demanded something cheaper. Block had a different casting - don't know when they switched - it was like this in '68, not in '71, all I know.

IMG_9322.thumb.JPG.3565f5495052dae754880772164cfa0f.JPG

IMG_9319.thumb.JPG.087d08a61da6cd11ccdec86b8eb1ed76.JPG

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

That early example sure looks fragile.  I assume(d) the addition of a chunk of hose made the tube bump-able, adding flex if needed.  On mine, the two steel tubes meet inside the hose.  There's no gap between them.

Mine has a hose at the bottom and the top. :) 

070.thumb.JPG.d15bbbd0fa81830b3600508e710b8e89.JPG

062.thumb.JPG.6ce63419c26a78449bf6f0403b4435a3.JPG

This was a good discussion on the topic, with illustrations showing three different tube configurations.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/218786-another-dumb-question-engine-oil-capacity/

Tom

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

That early example sure looks fragile.

Actually to take this shot I realised the chunk of wood stopping this old engine falling off the pallet was propped on the dipstick tube!

Supported by the manifold they're very solid, and for my stroker motor I modified one as part press in, part bolt on, so it will look the part in my '65 NK (an s14 block in disguise). Also heated and bent the tube to clear the dcoe, so now the bracket bolts to the oil filter housing.

IMG_6442.thumb.jpeg.8b09ecc75e3ede6235be1d2fef76e827.jpeg

Edited by NickVyse
  • Like 2

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

On 5/27/2024 at 8:20 AM, Birdie said:

1976 Stock.

Do your  Vins match?

Any thoughts on this?

Only that my 76 (both) have the style with the rubber coupler and bracket attached to the intake manifold.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

(it's the bolt-on w no clamps - see pic)

I dont see any bolts ?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 10:40 AM, tech71 said:

Do your  Vins match?

Only that my 76 (both) have the style with the rubber coupler and bracket attached to the intake manifold.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

I dont see any bolts ?

So my delay in answering these questions was with good reason. I had always thought that my VIN's do match (PO said so). However, your subtle question got me thinking and - as folks may have noticed - since this post, I have been another thread seeking confirmation on my VINs. Turns out.... NO. My VIN's do not match. You have opened my eyes.

Then on closer inspection - you are right again - there are no bolts. Looking at attached image - I am not sure why I thought I had an "A" guide tube when apparently I have a "B" guide tube. Many others on who have chimed in have a "C" guide tube.

image.thumb.png.74aa2a10028f44f6794b3bb49abbab57.png 

Great questions @tech71 Thank you for throwing these inquiries out there.

Edited by Birdie
  • Like 1